News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

A new green way to commute

Started by Billy Mumphrey, November 12, 2013, 03:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Billy, that's the wrong attitude to take about yourself. You are not just a nobody.
Thanks to a very good friend (Dan Ryan) I found my nitch in life and for 22 years published a newsletter that was used by radio talk show hosts, built a web site, edited a history of Youngstown, and had articles published. I accomplished all this while holding down a full time job.
If I could do all that, you can do that and much more if you just make up your mind and try.

Billy Mumphrey

How can I help? I'm just a nobody. I'm not a politician or anybody the movers or shakers would listen to.

Youngstownshrimp

Billy, Billy, where are you, time to go to work!  You claim you can't find work and yet the Mexicans and immigrants have no problem finding work.   Let's go, you can't just sit behind the computer all day getting fat.  C'mon  , you are just sucking up and wasting energy sitting on your butt.
I want a bike trail and the energy companies are waiting for the Frackpots to come to work, any work. :)

AllanY2525

There are several things to take into consideration with regard to bike lanes. 

Most side streets in Youngstown are about 40 or 50 feet wide, with 8 or 10 foot wide
traffic lanes and curbside parking lanes of about 8 or 10 feet in width.  To make bike
lanes the city would have to check the width of every street along the proposed route
to make sure there is enough room to accomodate bike lanes.

Most of the bike lanes in my area are wide enough for two regular riders to ride
abreast of one another, but the electric model we're discussing here is obviously
much wider.

They would also have to consider how heavy the traffic is along each proposed route
and the corresponding safety factors.

It would be wise to run the bike lanes to popular areas along less-busy side streets,
where feasible.   Most major thorofares require a shoulder area for emergency use
as well.

For example, a bike lane to Liberty Plaza could run along Fifth Ave extension and use
quieter back streets in Liberty Township to the rear entrance of the plaza.  Elm street
from YSU to Gypsy Lane would be a good bike route, a bike lane for Wick Park would
be a nice addition.

Towntalk

Jay, in the real world, it's not a question of stability, but a question of safety on streets like Belmont Avenue where most of us living here on the North Side travel to do our business. To be perfectly honest, I do not see people attempting to travel there on bikes even on the sidewalks.
Now they could use 5th Avenue extension most of the way say to Liberty Plaza but beyond that sooner or later they would have to get onto Belmont Avenue.
Nor is it a question of age, for if a senior is capable of riding a bike, they are aware of bike safety and follow the rules. The question is that these Trikes were never meant to be used on roads like Belmont Avenue or 224 or for that matter the freeways. Around town yes, but not on roads that have heavy traffic like the above mentioned, and unfortunately, here in Youngstown at least, most of the businesses we need to use are not inside the city proper.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to these trikes, or even putting them down, for they do have their use. Example, they would be great for students at YSU, and would solve the parking problems for the University.

Youngstownshrimp

Very good Billy I like it!
You know the Poland park got all kinds of free money for new sewer systems from Hilcorp tens of thousands just recently.
People!  Billy has a great idea and I am so happy I will follow him. 
We ask our leaders to meet the Frackers for donations to build a green bike path, excellent idea, something I would do.  I'm in, who is in?, I will help NOW!

Billy Mumphrey

Fracking/injection well money from the gas/oil shale boom you keep writing about?

Youngstownshrimp

Yes Billy, show us how to pay for it?

Billy Mumphrey

If Youngstown is truly rebuilding with a new vision, it would be nice if the new mayor would propose creating user-friendly bike lanes for commuters. :laugh:

jay

Falling off of a bicycle could cause injuries to anyone especially the elderly.  The tricycle aspect of the Elf gives stability.  It would be very difficult to tip it over.

AllanY2525

I agree that cycling on a major thoroughfare can be risky, without any bike lanes.  The
three wheel design, however, and the fact that the machine does at least have an
exterior body shell means that it offers more protection to the operator than
a standard bicycle.

Towntalk

It's a slick ride for a bike I do say, but my coincern is it's safety on a street like Belmont Avenue where the traffic is heavy. I could see myself using one to do shopping for small items at Union Square Plaza, but would be afraid to take it onto Belmont Avenue to do my banking.

jay

It's basically a tricycle with an enclosure and an electric motor.

The founder and CEO of the company said he would like to see this vehicle built in other downtowns across the globe.

Another short video featuring the founder.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqWeYsrfNK8

Towntalk

Where are the doors? What are the safety features?

jay

Billy,   Check this out.

The ELF
Electric, Light, Fun

Made in Downtown Durham, NC.
Electric Assist
Solar Charged