News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"Who the New Mayor should fire?"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, November 12, 2013, 08:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

So who is gonna be the new cop shop boss?

jay

I'm a little disappointed that he kept one guy who doesn't even live in our city or in our county.

iwasthere

Quote from: AllanY2525 on December 17, 2013, 11:54:30 PM
They should look at using more interns for these admin assistant positions.  It would
save the city money while providing valuable real-world experience for young
college students starting out their resumes.

northside lurker

It would definitely be good if the new mayor can get the ball rolling again on moving the courts into the city hall annex.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Agreed 100% Ron. The Third Floor is already set up for use as a court with all the ansalary office spaces needed including a holding cell area that use to be used by the U. S. Marshal's office. If I'm not mistaken, there are two holding cells there.
As it stands, right off the bat there are at least two court rooms there, and while they are larger than what is at City Hall, the main Court Room could also be used for other city meetings on the off hours.

Youngstownshrimp

I like the initiative by the New Mayor to move the courts to the historic annex building.  While they are moving, they would save tons of taxpayer money by moving D'Avignon out.

AllanY2525

They should look at using more interns for these admin assistant positions.  It would
save the city money while providing valuable real-world experience for young
college students starting out their resumes.

jay

One young man offered to be the new mayor's administrative assistant for a salary of $24,000 a year.

If selected, this man is willing to work for about 1/3 of what  previous people earned in this position.

iwasthere

Quote from: jay on December 17, 2013, 09:26:58 AM
Retaining John O'Neil as Fire Chief was a good move by Mayor McNally.
yes, i agree but why did he keep sean mckinney when his work evaluations by cs were not too positives.

jay

Retaining John O'Neil as Fire Chief was a good move by Mayor McNally.

jay

Anyone who retired and was rehired should be replaced.  Let younger residents have these good jobs.

Rick Rowlands

northside lurker

I guess I would agree that forcing city employees to live in the city through legislation is wrong.  But, IMHO, it shouldn't be an issue, because any employee of the city should WANT to live in the city for which they work.  Maybe this is because of the way I was raised?  Every relative--that I can think of--who worked for a company that provided a product or service, insisted on using only the products or services provided by their employer.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

AllanY2525

I agree with Rick - for all of the reasons he has already laid out.

Rick Rowlands

Because we are free people who has the right to live where we please.  You know, the City does not even have all of the various types of properties available that a free person might want to purchase.  I live on a one acre parcel in a sparsely populated part of Hubbard Township in a good school district.  I'm not going to find a comparable property in Youngstown. 

I really don't see where a residency requirement will result in a net benefit for the city beyond pleasing people such as you.  It unnecessarily limits the candidate pool, it creates situations in which families have to be disrupted for the breadwinner to get a job, it causes some current employees to lie about their place of residence to hold onto their job, and at the end of the day does not help the city in any measurable way. Of course employees should be encouraged to live in the city if they so choose.