News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Homestead Exemption Question

Started by jay, October 05, 2013, 05:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

We had a Homestead exemption at one time but it seems like it was taken away. I was not able at the time to look into it. And honestly hadn't thought about it since.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

joly1584

The homestead exemption has not been eliminated, but it is harder to get.  I could not find the law on the Ohio tax website, but I found the following from a September 15, 2013 Vindy article summarizing all of the tax changes:

"Meanwhile, seniors on fixed incomes are on the hook as well, since Gov. Kasich's budget eliminates the homestead exemption on property taxes for Ohioans over the age of 65 who make more than $30,000 a year."

The way I understand it from info I have at work - if you already have homestead exemption you will not lose it, but you will not be able to get it int the future.  i.e.  If you are 70 and currently have it you keep it for your current home, but if you move you may not be able to get it for your new home if you don't meet the new guidelines.

Another thing being changed on property taxes is the elimination of the rollbacks on school levies.  Current levies and renewals are exempt from the elimination, but new levies and replacement levies would not have the rollbacks.  Schools boards need to choose their words wisely when putting levies up for renewal to make sure they are renewals and not replacements.

jay

Someone I know recently turned 65 and went to apply for the homestead exemption.  The person was told that the homestead exemption was no longer available in Mahoning County.  Is this true?.