News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"Historic Lansdowne Airport/Youngstown's hidden secret"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, May 10, 2013, 11:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Our family was torn. One Cousin was in the Army Airforce in Europe another in the Navy in the Pacific and an uncle that was a Paratrooper in Europe, my father besides being a Fire Policeman was a Security Guard at one of the plants in town and an Air Raid Warden.

sfc_oliver

You have just over a decade on me. But i remember everyone talking about that day more than i do the day itself. though I'm pretty sure I was there. Really wouldn't have wanted to remember it during 2 tours at Ft Bragg....
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

Hey Sarge, I'm older than dirt, but you can't be older than me you young gentleman. When I was born Uncle Adolph was gearing up for WW2.

sfc_oliver

I was young enough to remember only a memory of it......Thankfully.

Towntalk

I remember that jump gone wrong. Our family was visiting Mother's sister and her family and saw it happen.

sfc_oliver

I still remember playing under the elderberry bushes off to one side of the landing strip while dad flew his remote controlled planes. I guess what we now would call early drones....

And i seem to remember a parachute jump that went wrong....

Towntalk

Lansdowne was Youngstown's first municipal airport for those who are new and do not know about what our esteemed friend was talking about.

Youngstownshrimp

Youngstownshrimp

As demolition results on the Eastside, more acreage surrounding the historic airport.

Towntalk

Seriously though, I can invision four buildings at the airport ... two on each side of the runway for a starter with the runway repaved and leading out to the highways that Rick mentioned, and at the end of the runway a fifth building that would contain office space for the four buildings. there would be a parking lot in the area where airplanes were formerly parked, and the whole complex would be fenced in with security fencing.

Youngstownshrimp

Magandang umaga sa iyo Towntalk.
Atsaka bakit walang sumusulat ngayon?

Towntalk

Je cherche un millionnaire Avec des grands "Cadillac car" "Mink coats" – Des bijoux Jusqu'au cou, tu sais? C'est bon ... then I could invest in buying the airport land.  ;D Si bon, Si bon.

Towntalk

Youngstownshrimp