News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

MILLIONS OF $$$ COMING TO CITY

Started by Towntalk, November 22, 2012, 01:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Where the bloody #### is it written that these bloody companies will not be paying their bloody share in bloody taxes. If these bloody companies have been given bloody tax exemption in bloody perpitude I haven't read about it.

Rick Rowlands

How is "fair share" defined?  I have asked this question repeatedly over and over and over, but NOBODY has ever been able to answer it.  Since "fair share" has not been defined how can anyone pay it?  PLEEEZE  PLEEEEZE PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE answer this question!  I BEG YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

I choose to follow the definition of "fair share" of taxes as it has been defined since 1787.  Congress, specifically the Ways and Means Committee, specifies what the "fair share" of taxes for all Americans are.  It even has a name.  Its called the US Federal Tax Code.  So if an individual, company or organization is in compliance with the tax code, then they are paying their "fair share".  Now from time to time Congress has decided that they would rather see certain activities take place, and have enacted tax incentives to promote that activity.  Congress decided that these activities were more important than the tax money they would lose.  So someone who undertakes an activity that falls under one of these incentives is STILL paying their "fair share", both in monetary taxes and in desired activities.

I know that liberals will never accept this explanation, because to them its not about what is logical and quantifiable, it is about emotion and optics.  Most of the people out there will gobble up this "fair share" rhetoric without even thinking about it, and the question about how is "fair share" defined will never fire any synapses in their brains.

iwasthere

tt the gas and oil co have been making a profit from their first oil well in titsville to present day oil wells. ? should we give them tax brks. i never said to boycott these co but i want them to pay their fair share of taxes aka you, jay, ibc, rr, ytown shrimp ect...........

Towntalk

There have been several startup busiesses that have received governmental help and one of them in particular has been proven to be a rousing success. [Turning Point Technologies].

There are a couple more that could be mentioned but as they are so new, it remains to be seen just what their future will be. BUT, they are up and running, and one of them runs commercials on TV on a regular basis.

northside lurker

Why is it OK for the government to give big business incentives/money, but not OK to give small businesses incentives/money?  When the success of downtown is discussed here, some are often critical of the fact that some of the businesses there received some help from the government.  Why is this different, except that it's a big business?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

What does any bloody business come to our fair city, or any city for? Of course they're coming for the natural gas that is under our feet, and there is no question that they hope to make millions from that natural gas. Do you seriously think that their only interest is to help the poor folks of the valley? Is it a crime for an company to want to max its investment for the benefit of its investors?

If it is a bloody crime, then we should boycott every bloody business that comes to the valley regardless of what their bloody business is telling them that they and their ilk are not wanted here.

Towntalk

So what the **** should we do, tell them to pack their bags and get out of town? Perhaps we should tell every company that wants to locate here that they have to do it on their own dime. We don't need good paying jobs coming to Youngstown, especially foreign owned companies do we?

iwasthere

i am waiting for this co to ask for another tax abatement for another project thus eliminating the monies that is suppose to be used to solve ytown problems.

jay

Don't forget that the city spent millions catering to this business.  It is only fitting that the city gets some of our money back.