News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Downtown Institution Closing

Started by Towntalk, November 14, 2012, 06:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

iwasthere, they are closed on Sunday.

Jay, if that is the case that only restaurants located on West Federal street succeed, why is it that there is a rather consistent turnover in restaurants  in the food court in the old Phar-Mor building?

Have you ever dined at Ovation, in the Deyor complex?

iwasthere

ws mentioned places that i had brk, lunch or dinner. i never had bad dining exps but some of the rest. had slow service in which gave my fam an frds longer time to solialize.

northside lurker

I thought the B&O Restaurant closed due to illegal activity by some of the owners?

IMO, the Hub closed due to a decline in the quality of their food.

I've been told that Saigon Star didn't have very good food.  I've also talked to people who said they liked it, but the consistent absence of customers would indicate they were in the minority.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

QuoteAn unfortunate fact about downtown Youngstown

If you're not located on West Federal Street, your restaurant has three strikes against it.

Anthony's on the River
B&O Restaurant
The Hub
Cedars Cafe
The Old Precinct
Saigon Star

iwasthere

crickets on midlothian blvd-delicious am food
blvd tavern on southern blvd and lucius ave-italtan food, i order thier antipasta salads, fish on fri, and mon thier home-made ravolis
all above rest have delicious food and reasonable price

iwasthere

Quote from: Towntalk on November 17, 2012, 11:12:03 PM
Let the group know what you think when you dine there my friend.  :)
i had dined there several times in the past and i never had a bad meal. i thought they were closed on sundays. i am happy that you told me they are open on sundays.

Rick Rowlands

Salvatores in Austintown or Howland.  They serve little slices of pizza instead of a basket of bread which is amazingly good.  After gorging on the pizza bread I only eat half of whatever pasta entree I order, the rest beomes lunch the next day.

Niccolini's has a wonderful house salad and semolina bread and olive oil.  After the bread and salad the entree is always a letdown!

The new Alberini's in Boardman is very good.

The food at Cafe Cimmentos isn't very good, their sauce isn't cooked enough, but the quiet atmosphere is conducive to dinner meetings.

The mexican restaurant in the old Perkins on Belmont is another favorite.  I always either get chimichangas or fajitas.   Another good one is el Jalepeno in the former Hooters in Niles.  They are the fastest restaurant I've ever been it. 

We recently added Ruby Tuesday to our "do not dine" list.  Who serves a cheeseburger on whole wheat bread??? YUCK!  V2 is also on that list.  Way too freaking loud in there.  Turn off the music already!

Towntalk

Question for all:

When you are taking your family out to dine for other than a sandwich and salad, which is the restaurant that you frequent most and what are the dishes you order most often? (Fast food restaurants don't count.) Give us some idea about the restaurant, its menu and service.

Towntalk

Let the group know what you think when you dine there my friend.  :)

iwasthere

Towntalk

Try the Golden Hunan on Belmont Ave. The meals there are great and at reasonable prices. Great reviews on this restaurant.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/334/1343090/restaurant/Golden-Hunan-Restaurant-Youngstown

iwasthere

i would like to find a nice rest on sunday aka roberto's or the one you liked in pittsburgh.

Towntalk

When I lived and worked in Pittsburgh I lived a block away from a really great restaurant. It was on the small side, but their meals were ala some of the finest restaurants in New York, and yet their meals were quite reasonable. When my boss came to town for an look around I told him about the restaurant and afterhe finished checking the books, he treated us to a meal on the house at that restaurant, and was quite impressed both by the quality of the meals and the price,

While others were ordering steaks, I ordered the Oyster bowl, and when it came, my co-workers laughed until our boss told them that I ordered the best meal on the menu. Oysters on Ice and I tell you that there were more Oysters than there was in the size of the steaks that they were eating, and since our boss was picking up the tab, I offered to share the oysters with our boss.

Each Sunday, I would have my dinner there.

iwasthere

tt i do agree with your selection of chefs. ms does have string of restaurant successes under his belt. sound of ideas a cl radio/tele show interviewed him about his new restaurant adventure. he is a class act. i like roberto's rest due to its food and soft it music. if i want loud drunken patrons dancing and singing to today's music(if you call it music and dancing. i am sounding like my parents) then off to niteclubs. i guess there is never pleasing answer to fine dining. i would like to see a push to have one dollars yrly membeships for yc

Towntalk

Couldn't agree with you more Rick. When I go out to dine I want to enjoy my meal in peace, and that means in a restaurant that is not full of college students that treat the establishment as a college dorm, and the sound of music that is aimed at the young crowd.

I'm no snob ... but at 73 the kind of atmosphere that is in most of the downtown restaurants is a turnoff, which explains somewhat why older folks that have the money to spend do not frequent these places, and dine at the better restaurants in the suburbs.