News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Police calls

Started by jay, May 30, 2006, 07:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yfdgricker

Just a heads up, I should be able to get a Youngstown Police feed up and running sometime in the next 2 weeks. The scanner is set up and everything is ready to go, I just discovered that my old computer (a 600MHz job) won't support running 3 simultanious feeds. So I ordered another computer (3.3GHz) to run all of my feeds. As soon as it get's here, I'll get it set up and post the address to the feed here.

Greg

ForumManager

We talked about this at the picnic.
I believe Greg is looking into it.
I am also considering it but I am wondering about the legalities.
Is it legal?  Do we need to get permission?

jay

Is anyone still working to place the YPD police calls on the internet for the forum members?

ForumManager

I also have a spare PC now but not a scanner radio.

I will look into getting one.

our2cents

Thanks for the details Greg.  I knew when they disengaged, it was some change in their broadcast.  Someone else gave me incorrect information on the YPD setup.  I've never heard a car when disengaged.  Someone else told me it had to do with a digital setup.

If you're able to get that YPD feed setup, great job as usual.  I have a spare pc, just not a spare scanner at the moment.  Maybe one of these days I'll drop into a GYMA meeting.  I just purchased the freq book from GYMA...just to have it.  I'm also always listening & paging out through YMFPA when I can.

Take care.

jay

Greg,

Thanks for explaining how the police radio system works.  This information was very helpful.

I would like for all users of this forum to have the ability to listen to police calls over the internet.  I understand that some calls need to be kept off the air but that is OK.   I am willing to make a donation to get a system running. 

yfdgricker

Setting up a feed is easy once your set the first one up :)

I run the YFD feed at youngstownfire.com via Shoutcast. I also run a Mahoning Valley Fire feed on incidentbroadcast.com (Teamspeak).

Let me see if there is a way I can set up another live feed on my feed computer. I have plenty of scanners to do it. 

Anyone can pick up a scanner capable of listening to the YPD (and many other agencies) for as little as $10. My buddy just picked up a 10 channel mobile scanner for $10 this past weekend. I recently bought another radio off of EBay for $60. Being an amateur radio operator, I have several amateur radios that will pick up many area freqencies as well.

Youngstown puts a lot of information over the radio but keep in mind that detectives and undercover officers often use either nonpublished frequencies, frequencies that they can change, encrypt transmissions or they may bypass the radio all together and using Nextel phones. When Youngstown disengages, all they do is temporarily shut off the repeater. If you are within 5 - 10 blocks of the car transmitting, you still hear them. It just doesn't broadcast the cars traffic over the entire city for all to hear. 

Anyone interested in the hobby of scanner monitoring, I invite you to a meeting of the GYMA. We meet the second Saturday of every odd month at the Boardman United Methodist Church on Market Street in Boardman. Visit GYMA.ORG for more info on the club.

Greg
Webmaster, youngstownfire.com
Vice President, Greater Youngstown Monitoring Association, GYMA

our2cents

I agree with Jay, they are often overwhelmed in YT.  If you listen on the weekends especially.  If everyone heard them, they would have a better idea of why they can't be everywhere at once or there in an instant.  However, YT does a very good job of prioritizing calls.   

I've thought of setting a live online broadcast, but I don't always have my PC & Scanner on.  Plus I also listen to other stations (YFD, Skywarn, etc) and often must turn YPD off just to hear the others.

The Cleveland Police have their own on http://www.cleveland.com/ra/livepolicescanner.ram and I'm sure it could be done for YPD easily.

AllanY2525

I think Forum Manager has the right idea on this one - I've never personally used ShoutCast,
but people who have (including our own Forum Manager) say it seems to work quite well
at the Audio Streaming stuff.....

Now all we need is someone who owns a scanner with an earphone jack, and a
computer and broadband connection.

:)

jay

Not everyone wants to purchase a scanner when all they are interested in are the call for the the YPD.  Believe me, listening to the Youngsown police calls is a real eye opener.  The police are often overwhelmed.  The nature and location of the calls will inform everyone as to the extent of our crime problem.

All we need is a technology buff to figure out how we all could listen the the police calls over the internet.

ForumManager

Actually, it might be possible to have a scanner radio connected to a line in on  your computer and produce a broadcast via shoutcast. I had a shoutcast station setup for music... posted it on the forum last year  The computer I was using wasn't up to snuff and I couldn't work and broadcast at the same time.

ForumManager

I was just  razzing.  I had visions of criminals carrying computers just do they could access online scanners.

AllanY2525

Quote from: ForumManager on August 22, 2006, 10:42:10 PM
Can't people listen to the calls on a regular scanner radio now?
That would be easier then carting a computer along to a robbery.
LOL

I was thinking about the possibility of criminals that might have a portable scanner
(some of the newer models fit in a SHIRT POCKET) or a cellphone with Web Access
(many of the newer phones have this, along with multimedia capabilies, ie: movies
and sound, music players in them, etc, etc etc)

It's just an thought, any ole ways...

our2cents

I don't know of any online services to actually listen in. 

If you get your own scanner, you can purchase a frequency book like the one GYMA (good to support a local group) has:
http://www.steelvalleywebdesign.com/gyma/gymabook.php

and if you're up to figuring out which stations are really in use, you can also look on the net at places like:
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&ctid=2089
http://www.scanohio.com/mahoning/index.html

Keep in mind, with most basic scanners, you will not hear what YPD is saying when they disengage.  There are things they don't want the average person that is listening with a cheap scanner to hear.

ForumManager

Can't people listen to the calls on a regular scanner radio now?
That would be easier then carting a computer along to a robbery.
LOL