News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Police calls

Started by jay, May 30, 2006, 07:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

our2cents

I doubt they'll be dropping the codes they use anytime soon.  From what I've heard when they need to talk with the surrounding communities, they don't tend to use codes as your linked story is putting forward.  Most of Mahoning County uses the same code system.  Youngstown also uses final signals & action taken codes.  They tend to use a mixture of the codes & signals.

For anyone listening that doesn't know what the general codes around here are, here is a reference:
http://www.scanohio.com/mahoning/index.html#signal

Towntalk

Speaking of Police Calls, I wonder if we will see the day when YPD drops te 10 Code as are Police Departments in other states?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/12/AR2006111201098_pf.html

yfdgricker

Quote from: ForumManager on November 12, 2006, 08:47:51 AM
I'm being nosy... no need to answer if you don't want to.
How much moola do you have invested in all of your equipment to make this happen?
Looks like a lot!

It's hard to say what I have invested. I've been into scaner monitoring for at least 15 years and I go to a lot of 'Hamfests' and buy equipment. What I've spent is not nearly as much as what it is worth. The PC, I bought the components I needed and constructed it myself. I've just recently sold off a bunch of radios I've purchased over the years and bought some new equipment. I've seen the scanners that I'm running for the feeds (BC-560XLT. Here is the EBay link fo the scanners... http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=560XLT ) going for $15-20 at some of the hamfests. They are small 16 channel workhorses that are perfect for this line of work (in my opinion). At that price, I always buy because I trade or loan them quite often and always have something I can use them for. I'm also an amateur radio operator so in addition to scanners, I have several radios capable of receiving and transmitting on the amateur radio bands. I'm frequently on 146.745MHz, the W8QLY repeater. My call is W8YFD.

If I had to guess, I'd say I have about $300 in the computer and maybe about $75 in the radios.

our2cents

It's working good now.

The only thing I noticed is a constant buzz from the fire feed that wasn't there on the old setup.

ForumManager

I'm being nosy... no need to answer if you don't want to.
How much moola do you have invested in all of your equipment to make this happen?
Looks like a lot!

yfdgricker

In case your wondering, the two radios on the middle shelf are the Youngstown feeds. The top scanner (with the blue lettering) is the YPD and the bottom is the YFD :)

The second pic is the PC and other radios on my station desk. There are 7 radios in the picture :) Ignore the crooked frames and corkboard in the photo, they have minds of their own.

yfdgricker

Quote from: yfdgricker on November 11, 2006, 02:41:23 AM
The Youngstown Fire Department Live feed is
http://yfd.dnsalias.com:8080/broadwave.m3u?src=1
What is programmed in:
Channel 1 - Dispatch
Channel 2 - Fireground Ops 1
Channel 3 - Fireground Ops 2

The Youngstown Police Department Live feed is
http://yfd.dnsalias.com:8080/broadwave.m3u?src=2
What is programmed in:
Channel 1 - Channel 1/Dispatch
Channel 2 - Channel 1 Input/Dispatch Input (for when they 'disengage')
Channel 3 - Channel 3 Car to Car
Audio Streamed by the BroadWave Streaming Audio Server by NCH Swift Sound Software.

Ok, I discovered, thanks to all of you, that the streaming software I have is not feeding the correct sound cards for the correct radios. I've fixed them :) I now have Youngstown Fire connecting to the Youngstown Fire feed and the Youngstown Police going to the Youngstown Police Feed. That third feed you said 'The listed link for YPD I believe is Boardman, Milton and others?  Something about OE facilities and rescue efforts' was actually the third feed I run which is a 6 county area Mahoning Valley Fire Department feed.

Also, I didn't realize it but the Youngstown Police scanner wasn't programmed for the correct police channels. It actually was Youngtown PD Ch 1, Boardman PD Ch 1 and MCSO Ch 1. I did that for testing purposes because those are all very active stations. I've now reprogrammed that radio with the YPD Channels as are listed above.

Have a listen and let me know if the correct feeds are on the correct channels :)

In reference to the feeds stopping every minute or so, I dropped the bps rate for all the feeds from 56 to 34. That might help with the signal drop problem. I've never run 3 feeds on 1 PC before so this is all new to me. Thanks everyone for helping get things squared away!

Greg

ForumManager

Top link is definitely police.

There are calls from Boardman-.
Suspicious activity at Sam's Club and an injured deer on 680 at Western Reserve Rd. were included.
update - stopping people on Tippi
I think it might be a sherrif.

Shirley

Tried both YPD & FYD. It does sound like the one listed YPD is somewhere else. The one listed as YFD is for Youngstown Police. We have a portable scanner but this is nice. Thanks. Wish I knew how to do all the stuff you can do. Your YFD website is great.

our2cents

Greg,

Tested for you. 

The listed link for YFD is YPD. 

The listed link for YPD I believe is Boardman, Milton and others?  :-\  Sounds like something big going on somewhere on one of the others.  Something about OE facilities and rescue efforts.

Your Listen Live link at your site is also down.

yfdgricker

Ok, I've been testing the feeds with a friend of mine but I would like some other people to try them out as well. If clicking on the links doesn't work, try opening Windows Media Player (Start/All Programs/Windows Media Player in WinXP). Then click on File/Open URL and paste one of the 2 links in the box. You should then be connected and hear the feed.

The Youngstown Fire Department Live feed is
http://yfd.dnsalias.com:8080/broadwave.m3u?src=1
What is programmed in:
Channel 1 - Dispatch
Channel 2 - Fireground Ops 1
Channel 3 - Fireground Ops 2

The Youngstown Police Department Live feed is
http://yfd.dnsalias.com:8080/broadwave.m3u?src=2
What is programmed in:
Channel 1 - Channel 1/Dispatch
Channel 2 - Channel 1 Input/Dispatch Input (for when they 'disengage')
Channel 3 - Channel 3 Car to Car

Give it a try and post back here with whether it worked for you or if it didn't work.

Thanks!

Audio Streamed by the BroadWave Streaming Audio Server by NCH Swift Sound Software.

jay

That is great news about being able to listen to Youngstown police calls over the internet.  It will help all of us to better understand the workings of the police department and the extent of crime in the city.

our2cents

I figured that would be your setup.  We were sitting here listening today and realized how much info was being discussed on 2.  We agree that it's a very boring freq except when you want to hear the details on warrants and such.

It is kind of scary to hear so much info in clear air.  It's a big motivation to not speed in Youngstown.

yfdgricker

The police feed will only contain Channel 1 Dispatch, Channel 1 Input and Channel 3 Car to Car. It will not include Channel 2, because channel 2 is extremely boring and you would never hear any of the main dispatch. As new patrol officers who are comfortable using the mobile data terminals (MDT) join the department, more and more of the personal information will be transmitted via the MDT as opposed to over the radio. 

our2cents

That's good to hear Greg. 

I'm assuming you won't be running a channel 2 feed with all the broadcasting of personal info they do.  I'm sure someone having their info ran from a traffic stop and then having someone on the net capture and use it would create a legal nightmare.