News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

War On Sugar

Started by Towntalk, February 02, 2012, 08:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

Regulating sugar is simply treating the symptoms and ignoring the illness which is sedentary lifestyle.  If parents were not so damn paranoid and would let their kids out of the house to play then their offspring would not look like Stay-Puft marshmellow children.   Heck if one is abducted then just have another one and maybe correct some of the mistakes made with the first one!

Rick Rowlands

People are so easily persuaded.  The average American does not think very often. He responds to emotion, to suggestion, to what his friend/neighbor/spouse/coworker or TV commentator wants.  When the question of regulating sugar is brought up, who thinks that means only the white stuff and does not think that it would mean the sugar or corn syrup that is added to foods at the factory?  So I could see how the public could be persuaded to support this and not realize that it would have such a devastating effect.

I pose the question. Why are we obsessed with living forever?  Why do we want to stay alive long after our savings is gone, our bodies no longer function and all we think about is our next doctors visit?  Is there no room for enjoying life while we still can?  Part of that enjoyment is food.  Food that tastes good and is pleasant to eat.  I find that meals are my favorite time of the day.  What is life if not just a series of experiences? 

Towntalk

No, but when it comes to telling me what to eat, drink or wear, that is NOT the role of government ... not now ... not ever under ANY circumstance.

The half witted moranic folks that fall under the umbrella of FOOD FACISTS would have us eating grass like sheep and wearing grass skirts. To these folks I say "You should be dragged down to the Public Square of your community and horsewhipped with whips tipped with sharp razer blades, and then dipped in a bath of salt water."

Sound harsh? Well it's meant to be, because no outsider will ever be allowed to control my life over and above the normal course of things.

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on February 03, 2012, 05:51:40 PM
Leave it to the voters? Sorry westsider but in my opinion 99.99% of the voters are brain numed robots that are as worthless as a $3.00 bill when it comes to edudated voting on anything.

Not that I disagree, exactly. (especially when it comes to those who disagree with me. ;) )  But, how should our government govern, if it shouldn't listen to the people who put it there?  You aren't suggesting an oligarchy, are you?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

That's right westsider, let the Sugar Nazi's clamp a ring to your nose and lead you around against your will. Tell your little ones that they can't have any candy, cake or cookies even on special days. Demand that 90% of the processed food be taken off store shelfs and destroyed because it has sugar in it. Bar restaurants from using any sugar in any of their foods, and if they do, close them down and slap a heavy fine on the owners.

Just at what point would you say, "I've had enough of your meddling in my life!" Or are you one of those people who are only happy when others control every aspect of your life?

Leave it to the voters? Sorry westsider but in my opinion 99.99% of the voters are brain numed robots that are as worthless as a $3.00 bill when it comes to edudated voting on anything.

northside lurker

IMO, no.  But, if it's put to a vote, and passes, like no smoking in bars/restaurants, that's democracy at work.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

sfc_oliver

The point here really should be; when do we tell the Government that they have regulated our lives enough?

They came for our Whiskey and we said nothing,
They came for our tobacco and we said little,
Seatbelts, Nada

Sugar? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Don't get me wrong, I understand that most anything in excess is not good for us. Fact is I started drinking my coffee black about 2 years ago just to cut back on sugar...... But enough from the feds already.........
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

jay

I quit drinking soda pop years ago and lost a few pounds too.

Towntalk

I use sugar just in my tea and only have 2 cups of tea a day, and as for treats such as cookies, cake, icecream its a rare occasion as my favorite treats are crackers, cheese and pepperoni and occasionally potato chips (Wise brand) or Cheese-Its. As for coffee, I prefer it either black or just with cream so my sugar consumption is minimal at best. I do not eat cereals of any kind because they are overloaded with sugar, but have bacon, eggs, toast, coffee and a glass of orange juice.

Youngstownshrimp

This is why I use RAW SUGAR.

Towntalk

Should Sugar Be Regulated like Alcohol and Tobacco?

Sugar poses enough health risks that it should be considered a controlled substance just like alcohol and tobacco, contend a team of researchers from the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF).
In an opinion piece called "The Toxic Truth About Sugar" that was published Feb. 1 in the journal Nature, Robert Lustig, Laura Schmidt and Claire Brindis argue that it's a misnomer to consider sugar just "empty calories." They write: "There is nothing empty about these calories. A growing body of scientific evidence is showing that fructose can trigger processes that lead to liver toxicity and a host of other chronic diseases. A little is not a problem, but a lot kills — slowly."

To counter our consumption, the authors advocate taxing sugary foods and controlling sales to kids under 17. Already, 17% of U.S. children and teens are obese, and across the world the sugar intake has tripled in the past 50 years. The increase has helped create a global obesity pandemic that contributes to 35 million annual deaths worldwide from noninfectious diseases including diabetes, heart disease and cancer.