News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Lake Glacier

Started by jay, June 09, 2006, 06:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

Quote from: westsider on June 09, 2006, 04:16:48 PM
I agree, that is a great picture.

I've only lived in the area for 6 years, (and only near Lake Glacier for 4) so I don't have any personal stories about the lake.

But, there is a book made from old post cards from Youngstown (can't remember the name) that has a picuture of people swimming on a beach near where the boathouse is now.  If I remember correctly, it was a picture from around the turn of the last century.

The book is called Youngstown (Images of America), by Donna M. DeBlasio.  She is an assistant
professor of History at YSU.

The book is available on Amazon.com

Towntalk

Saddly that site no longer exists. There were over 1000 pictures dating from 1889 to 2006.

Leah

Towntalk,

I really enjoyed the pictures on your website.  Thanks!

Towntalk

The photo of swimming at Lake Glacier is now up at my Webshots site for anyone who may be interested. It was taken in 1920. It can be found on page 2  in My Public Shoebox folder.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ladynews500

Enjoy

Towntalk

I located the picture of swimming in Lake Glacier that was dated 1920.  In the photo there was a rather large bath house and a flight of stairs leading down to the lake.

Towntalk

In my photofile somewhere  I have a copy of that picture, and from what I could make out it was located just below where I lived back in the 1950's.

northside lurker

I agree, that is a great picture.

I've only lived in the area for 6 years, (and only near Lake Glacier for 4) so I don't have any personal stories about the lake.

But, there is a book made from old post cards from Youngstown (can't remember the name) that has a picuture of people swimming on a beach near where the boathouse is now.  If I remember correctly, it was a picture from around the turn of the last century.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Great photo.

When I was in High School (Chaney) I lived at the end of Halls Hights and spent many wonderful hours exploring the lake, and for that matter the whole park. It's a real theasure that should really be exploited in publicity mateial about our city.

jay

Does anyone have any interesting stories about Lake Glacier in Mill Creek Park?