News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

The 1913 Flood

Started by Towntalk, March 24, 2013, 06:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

More flood pictures.

Rick Rowlands

Those dams just create a pool of water in the river that will stay at a relatively stable level high enough to cover the water intakes.  These dams serve a completely different function than those in reservoirs whose job it is to impound water.   

Towntalk

Billy FYI ... the largest quanity of pollution will be found in the immediate area of the dam since heavy metals sink and other pollutents build up there. This is why, before the dam can be destroyed, it must be rendered pollution free by people who know how to clean it up.

Towntalk

The dam at Lowellville was built to supply the mills, but I could stand corrected. There is also a dam, or more precisely the ruins of a dam near the Spring Commons Bridge that was built to power the old Baldwin Flour Mill.

How the removal would impact New Castle is hard to say but it would help speed up the river which would benefit the folks on the Pennsylvania side, and would go towards cleaning up the river.

Billy Mumphrey

Question: I keep hearing about folks connected with this Mahoning Valley River project that they want the dam removed at Lowellville to increase boaters use of the river. Is not the Lowellville dam part of controlling flood waters down stream? Would removing the dam increase the risk of flooding down towards New Castle?

jay

I'm thankful that flood control programs were put in place to make such flooding unlikely in the future.

Youngstownshrimp

As far as research, TT is the best, this site is nothing without TT.

TT we need you over on GoMarcellusshale.com 

Towntalk

More flood pictures.

Towntalk

Epic 1913 Mahoning River flood cast wide net of destruction

http://www.vindy.com/news/2013/mar/24/epic-1913-mahoning-river-flood-cast-wide-net-destr/