News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Youngstown Urban Farming & Plowing

Started by jay, August 01, 2011, 09:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

my favorite summer dish is a tomato sandwich on a toasted on rye brd, slice of onion, lettuce, pickles and topped with honey mustard with a side salad to wash everything down with unsweetened suntea. :)

Rick Rowlands

We have a one acre lot heavily guarded by attack cats and Japanese Samurai Beetles!  I have not been spraying the trees but we should.

Towntalk

Kennyjoe you and Rick make me so darn hungry ... one of my favorite dishes is fried green tomatoes and fried Zucchini. washed down with a fresh garden salad and a pitcher of iced tea.

kenneyjoe330

I got some excellent green beans from the "Farmers' Market" downtown Youngstown - They were really YUMMY. 

About thirty three years ago when we bought this house there was a fantastic pear tree in the back yard.  We had the sweetest and juiciest small yellow pears EVER ! ! !   It was a mess to mow around and the pears attracted bees.  It just got old and the pears got gritty and flat tasting.  I never sprayed it at all.

Mr. Rick - how big is your lot ?   Mine is only 50 by 150 ?  Do you have kids in the area raid you trees/garden ?   What was your address ?  When are you going on vacation?  Do you have a dog ;D  I had a great garden years ago - now there is just remnants - like a small bush of red raspberries and a sprig or two of Asparagus and maybe some permint Mint (I had about five different kind including Pineapple and LEMON which was by far my favorite in ice tea.  The crop we all LOVED the most was Swiss Chard - just could never get enough of Swill Chard.  Next I love Zucchini- I absolutely love the bigger ones fried (about the size of a small loaf of bread) - makes my mouth water.  I have trouble growing cucumbers so small Zucchini went into the salad.  Brussels Sprouts were interesting to grow and they taste really strong when they are fresh.  Oh the good old days. :'(
  :'(
Do you spray your fruit trees ? ???

Towntalk

Jay:

Not to change the topic but PLEASE get the radio station call letters CORRECT:

You are referring to WYCL in Mineral Ridge -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WYCL

But keep calling it WTCL which is a Florida station. -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTCL

Rick Rowlands

In my yard we have:

1 pear tree
1 cherry tree
1 mulberry tree
4 apple trees
2 grape vines
3 blueberry bushes
1 red raspberry bush

And in the garden we are getting two cucumbers a day and all the tomatoes that we can eat as well as sugar snap peas, beans, oregano, thyme, rosemary, onions and potatoes.

jay

Frank Bellamy has a commercial on radio station WTCL.

kenneyjoe330

THAT is EXACTLY what I was talking about when I mentioned an Orchard.  I can remember when I was young - all us kids knew every fruit tree in a five block area and RAIDED it's fruit when it was ripe - or in case of apples BEFORE they were ripe. :laugh:  We ATE all we could and stuffed our pockets if we could.  I got yelled at many a time for taking the salt shaker from the table for unripe apples  ::)  I would love to see kids eat fresh fruit from a tree or two right in their hood  :o 8)

iwasthere

Quote from: Rushblvd on August 02, 2011, 04:34:16 PM
I like pears--- :D
you have a beauftiful pear tree in your nieghbors backyd. do you take advantage of this delious treat.

Rushblvd

kenneyjoe330

I travel on Route 224 - I forget names  :'( - however getting past THAT problem - heading West from Canfield and just past the School Complex that has the three wind turbines on the right - about a mile down the road on the left is a nice split level ranch - and in front of it there is an orchard of apple trees - 40 or so ?  Do you think some apple trees would work in an urban setting?   I went to Travers City, Michigan and learned they have A LOT OF CHERRY TREES - think we can give them a run for their money ???? If not Cheeries maybe Apples or Pears?  YES - PEARES - it's gotta be because - Is there a place in the US noted for Peares and if not why not Youngstown  ??? - at least in Lansingville - speaking for myself of course - we are sure shaped like peares  :o :o :o

jay

Heard on the radio today

Frank Bellamy - Youngstown Urban Farming & Plowing
330-782-0984