News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Problems with rezoning for farming on the east side

Started by northside lurker, August 05, 2008, 08:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForumManager

QuoteMaybe it's my imagination, but the tone of your reply sounds defensive.  So, if I have offended you, I sincerely apologize.  That was not my intention at all.

Not offended at all. If you read back, you said I seemed to be implying someone was lying and that was not the case... just setting the record straight.

northside lurker

Maybe it's my imagination, but the tone of your reply sounds defensive.  So, if I have offended you, I sincerely apologize.  That was not my intention at all.

Quote from: ForumManager on August 07, 2008, 11:07:35 AM
I didn't imply anything about truthfulness.  It seems that  if the neighborhood residents will tolerate a junkyard and various farm type structures that this person's plan to raise a few animals is not an unreasonable request. If rats are the concern, the existing junk vehicles could be a comfortable habitat for rats.

That's why I'm confused.  What is standing in the way of this project?  They are being told that the neighbors are objecting.

QuoteCould the homeowner on the northside have painted his houses "terrible" colors  because of the availability of cheap paint or  because he liked them?  It is very sad that anyone who owns more than one rental property in Youngstown referred to as a slumlord.  What does that say about our community? At least the houses were painted.  If someone is saying he intentionally used bright colors to bring property values down that is their own perspective unless he stated that fact directly to them. Hearsay.  I am familiar with the houses you are referring to and I personally found them to be a point of interest and found the bright colors to be interesting and fun, not terrible as you say.

You're right.  It is just hearsay.  I'm not at all familiar with the houses in question.  I was just told that this person intentionally painted them in unusual/unattractive combinations of historic colors to lower property values.  Perhaps the city forced him to paint them, and it was simply out of spite?  I was also told that this person had served prison time since.  But, again, this is just a story I was told.

QuoteHow could horses lower the property values when there is a  junkyard and a prison nearby? And you are now implying that the neighbors might feel  these people are doing this purposefully to lower their property values? Where is that coming from?

No, I think what is planned would increase property values.  But, there might be people who wouldn't want their property value to increase.  I'm usually pretty good at understanding logic, but can't find any logic in this situation.  (maybe they're afraid of increased property taxes ??? )
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

ForumManager

QuoteYou seem to be implying that someone isn't telling the truth.  Either the owner isn't telling everything or, more likely, someone at the city isn't telling the truth.  But, why?

I didn't imply anything about truthfulness.  It seems that  if the neighborhood residents will tolerate a junkyard and various farm type structures that this person's plan to raise a few animals is not an unreasonable request. If rats are the concern, the existing junk vehicles could be a comfortable habitat for rats.

Could the homeowner on the northside have painted his houses "terrible" colors  because of the availability of cheap paint or  because he liked them?  It is very sad that anyone who owns more than one rental property in Youngstown referred to as a slumlord.  What does that say about our community? At least the houses were painted.  If someone is saying he intentionally used bright colors to bring property values down that is their own perspective unless he stated that fact directly to them. Hearsay.   I am familiar with the houses you are referring to and I personally found them to be a point of interest and found the bright colors to be interesting and fun, not terrible as you say.  If people can't see past a coat of paint in evaluating a house then it is definitely a case of tunnel vision... which seems to be very prevalent.  In an earlier historical period brightly colored houses were all the rage to show affluence. Were the people that could only afford whitewash, or couldn't paint at all accused of doing so PURPOSEFULLY to lower ALL the property values in a neighborhood? I checked the city ordinances for a mention of bright colors and all I found was that you are not allowed to color rabbits or baby chicks for sale. hmmmmm     Link to Ordinances

Sorry, getting off topic.  This thread is not about  brightly colored houses.

How could horses lower the property values when there is a  junkyard and a prison nearby? And you are now implying that the neighbors might feel  these people are doing this purposefully to lower their property values? Where is that coming from?

northside lurker

Quote from: ForumManager on August 06, 2008, 11:39:21 PM
Was this intended for me or for Jay?

I mean no offense, but you.  You seem to be implying that someone isn't telling the truth.  Either the owner isn't telling everything or, more likely, someone at the city isn't telling the truth.  But, why?

I don't know if this applies in this case.  But, I'm reminded of a story I was told at work.  A slumlord on the north side purposefully painted his houses in terrible colors to keep the property values down.  I wonder if a neighbor objects to this idea for a similar reason?

QuoteIn my opinion their little farmstead is an improvement... be it for organic produce or not.

I wholeheartedly agree.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

ForumManager

Quote from: westsider on August 06, 2008, 07:09:25 PM
You seem to be implying that someone isn't being completely truthful. ???

Was this intended for me or for Jay?

I've seen other situations in Youngstown that prevented people from improving property in the city. In my opinion their little farmstead is an improvement... be it for organic produce or not.

Perhaps they should get some night vision cameras to see if there are CURRENTLY rats in the neighborhood  since it seems that is the concern.

sfc_oliver

If we keep Youngstown moving in the direction its headed,  the southside will make a wonderful farm in another 5 or 10 years.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

northside lurker

I don't know if they wanted to be organic, but they were just intending to keep 2 horses and a few dairy goats.  So, the only produce I imagine them making in bulk, would be cheese from the goat's milk.

If anyone is interested, here are more links to other posts this person made on the City-Data forum about this issue.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/381727-continued-agriculture-youngstown-debate-website-info.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/368394-wanting-your-input-regarding-light-agriculture.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/363912-apartments-horses-outskirts-youngstown.html
--Thomas Edison

jay

Was this supposed to be an organic farm?  Many people come to the North Side Farmers' Market looking for organic produce.

northside lurker

You seem to be implying that someone isn't being completely truthful. ???
--Thomas Edison

ForumManager

Another note.
I did a Windows Live search for the address.
live search
If you switch to birds eye view it shows several properties have barn type outbuildings and there is even an automotive junk yard nearby.

jay

Zoning is one issue.  A zoning variance is another.

Years ago a relative living in the city had a neighbor who wanted to construct an unusual fence around the back yard.  The adjoining neighbors where contacted through the mail by the city zoning office.  An opportunity was give to submit a written objection and eventually a hearing was held by the zoning board.

ForumManager

What constitutes a neighbor?  How close in proximity?  On the street?  within X number of feet? When you look at that particular property, it doesn't appear there are too many neighbors in close proximity.

Let's say someone on my street wants to have a goat. They request a zoning change.  How are the neighbors informed of this request?  In writing? by public notice?  On my block there are 10  vacant houses that are falling apart, broken windows, missing siding, overgrown lawns ... are those absentee neighbor's  opinions  included when it comes to consideration of  whether another neighbor wants a goat?

northside lurker

Quote from: ForumManager on August 05, 2008, 11:21:17 PM
I read the material on their website and it says that the zoning would only change for the person requesting it.

Yes.  They put together a very nice website.  Unfortunately, though, the neighbors need to agree to the zoning change.  Apparently, according to their post on City-Data, some neighbors don't want a zoning change.
--Thomas Edison

ForumManager

I read the material on their website and it says that the zoning would only change for the person requesting it. It is zoned RA apartment  and they would like it to be R12 single family.
The passage regarding r12 basically says there can be a farm. They also have a zoning map posted.

http://www.justajourney.freehomepage.com/blank.html

northside lurker

Quote from: ForumManager on August 05, 2008, 06:59:12 PM
The ever growing vacant land  in Youngstown will be ideal for agricultural use.

I agree.  But, what can be done when one person living in the area objects to a zoning change?

This is sort of like that article earlier this year, where those people didn't want to move out of their homes, despite being offered an incentive to move so the city could proceed with abandoning infrastructure.
--Thomas Edison