News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Conservative Cuts Have Consequences

Started by irishbobcat, February 07, 2011, 04:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

No one can put it any better and so succinct Rick, "Long Live Capitalism!"

Dan Moadus

Dennis, just what do you think people did, when hard times came around, before all the social programs began.  Spare me the "they starved canard".  They consolidated their resources, moved in with family, or friends, found what work they could and rode it out.  Personally, I'd do some hunting, growing, canning, and scrapping. I'd live poor, but I'd survive and my family would eat.

Rick Rowlands

Cutting aid to the poor will cause them to take their lives into their own hands and make something of themselves. 

There are jobs out there.  At this point in time there are several opportunities that I could capitalize on.  One as a plant manager, another as a fabricator/machine builder, and earlier this week I was offered the chance to take on a big project building railroad track for a private company.  I also have a project in NC to erect 300' of overhead crane runway with crane installation later this year.  If I applied to Norfolk Southern I would be immediately hired back on the railroad as a locomotive engineer.  I will never have to want for a job because I have skills and willingness to apply myself and the desire to get the job done.  I only have a high school education, much of the knowledge I have I learned myself because I wanted to learn.  My single mother was poor, my dad was AWOL.  I do not come from wealth, am not wealthy now but we live a comfortable life.

I do not buy the BS that a large portion of the population have to be coddled and taken care of.  I was not.   These people no longer deserve our help.  I frequent the main library but rarely do I see members of the parasite class down there reading non fiction books trying to learn something.  Oh yes the entitlement class is there, but checking out CDs or novels while the technical books sit on the shelves collecting dust.  I have always believed that all the information a person needs to thrive in this country exists in that building, but so many people just drive on by.  Sure, reading books and learning is tough, but its necessary.   I have pulled myself up from being a poor son of an uneducated single mother to being a widely respected authority on steel industry and railroad history, capable of doing everything from running non profit organizations to consulting on historic preservation projects to running freight trains to constructing buildings to moving hundred ton pieces of equipment.  If I can do this in 37 short years anyone else can do the same if they put their mind to it.

Welfare, housing subsidies, food stamps etc. all serve to bring out the inherent laziness of people and reduce the need to go out and improve oneself.  If your basic needs are provided for the instinctive drive to do what it takes to survive and thrive is lessened.  This is the greatest negative effect of these government programs, and is one fact that you cannot and will never see.   If you could just realize that humans NEED adversity and challenges to bring out their best then you will see that the great society has been the worst influence on humanity since the advent of communism.  Don't give people anything.  Make them work for it, and in doing so they then appreciate what they have earned.

sfc_oliver

Yes i understand more than you do obviously. I advocate for cuts across the board if that is what it takes. Everyone needs to tighten their belts. If we do not reign in this out of control spending then I don't believe our grandchildren will live in the USA.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

irishbobcat

Sarge.... if you think your neo-con cuts have no consequences.....they do....

but you have on blinders that make you fail to see the dire consequences such cuts would have.....

Do YOU understand?

sfc_oliver

Is it possible to make him understand? I give up..... I simply do not work well with stupidity.

irishbobcat

And cutting aid to the poor will do what to society?

Make society better for them? Make society better for you?

sfc_oliver

Fact is, now that I think about it, I don't believe I even mentioned the poor until after i was accused of wanting to gut them. I said it is time to make cuts, deep cuts in spending. Even offered 10% of my retirement, which even you must admit was well earned. But it is basic economics 101. We cannot continue to go deeper in debt every second of every day.

I also stated that I don't have the answers, simply that I know we have to stop spending money we do not have.

Even a first grader could figure that out.

irishbobcat

If you are a neo-con who likes to bash the poor......then I suggest you folks seek some professional help......

To continue to write about cutting programs for the poor is sad....

You are truely the heartless, mentally ill folks in this society........

sfc_oliver

It's truly scary that you are involved in education.

irishbobcat

For 76 million Americans, Sarge?????

Are there 76 million jobs that pay a wage the poor can raise a family on?

I'm still waiting.......

Fact is Sarge, you Neo-cons have no steps in place to help those you want to cut...

sfc_oliver

Where does the money come from that you want to give them for staying at home Dennis?

There are already hundreds of programs out there that many people could take advantage of. Why don't they?

I know someone who flat out told me he wasn't going to look for work when he was making enough staying at home and not buying gas to get to work.

I also know someone who would sweep the streets to earn an honest dollar, but instead is back in school learning medical transcription.

How many training programs are out there Dennis? One quick google search brought up dozens of local opportunities.

http://www.indeed.com/q-Training-Program-l-Youngstown,-OH-jobs.html

It's not difficult. If you want work there are opportunities out there. Even with the supposedly 9% unemployment.

irishbobcat

OK Dan,
Where are the neo-con jobs today for the people you want to take off of welfare today?

Where is the training for these jobs today?

Right now, Dan....where are the opportunities for those you want kick out the door today?

Show me Dan, then you can kick everybody out tomorrow......

Dan Moadus

Dennis is so typical of the left. Life is always a zero sum game for them. No one can win without someone losing. They have a static view of the world, where if you're in poverty, you stay in poverty. In their eyes, the rich stay wealthy and the poor stay impoverished. They are so locked into the "woe is me" mindset that even history can't change their minds.  For example, at the turn of the twentieth century as mechanization  radically changed farming, millions of people who had worked on farms were no longer needed. Had Dennis and his so called progressive friends been around, the waling would have been unbearable.  What oh what will these poor people do now that they aren't needed? How will they live, what will they eat. On and on. Just as the naysayers back then couldn't imagine where all these people would find employment, our current crop of naysayers can't imagine where the jobs will come from that will sustain our idle workers.

It was easy to understand the fear back then; there was no automobile industry, no television or radio industry, no aviation industry or any of the other hundreds of industries that hadn't yet been invented. They had no idea what would be coming along. And so it is today. We don't know where these people will work because their industries have not yet been invented.

Dennis and his Luddite friends don't think that any new industries will be invented. They are just like the fellow who in 1900 proclaimed that everything that could be invented had already been invented. And in typical liberal fashion, they lack the faith in there fellow man, that he will go on to even greater prosperity than we have seen in the past.

They look at all the unemployed as burdens, while we conservatives look at them as resources who, in the effort to survive, and thrive, will invent industries and opportunities that we can not imagine.

I am as sure of this as I am sure that Dennis and his merry band will be there to pick everything they do apart.

irishbobcat

I understand the difference, Sarge......

Again, are you neo-cons going to provide an adequate hand-up program?

Plenty of hand-up jobs that pay enough to support one's family?

Plenty of hands-up training opportunities?

Will you provide and supply the opportunities?

Where are they now?