News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Women Combat Roles

Started by Towntalk, January 23, 2013, 05:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

Don't know about today but WW2 and up through Desert Storm a Tank Commander for an individual tank was an E-6 or Staff Sergeant, A SFC might have a section of 3 or 4 tanks under him along with a Lieutenant........And A Captain would have 3 or 4 sections.....

So yes by all means your Step Father could have been a Tank Commander....
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

Question for Sarge.

During WW2, my stepfather was a Staff Sargent in the 743d Tank Battalion and as I understand it, he was a tank commander, but a guy I worked with said that that was not correct since a "tank commander" had to be officer rank, but in the intervening years, I heard this designation applied to Sergent's. As I understand it the senior officer of any tank crew is designated "tank commander" but this only applies to one specific tank. Could you explain the whole thing to me?

sfc_oliver

MOS or as towntalk said Military Occupational specialty, is your job  or job classification.

For instance, when I retired I was a 31W4I or:

Forward Combat Communications Chief (Instructor qualified)

iwasthere

tt t y for the info, the link is a grt source for mil q and a.

Towntalk

iwasthere

what does MOS stand for in military lingo?

sfc_oliver

There are very few front lines in todays type of combat. What is new is that the combat arms MOS's will be opened to women. They can be in the infantry and Armour. Before this they could only be in Combat support roles Supply, communications, that type of thing....

Remember Jessica Lynch? She was a truck driver..........Ended up in a firefight she was never trained to be in....

I don't like the idea, but I'll quietly accept it......

iwasthere

tt i thought women were on the frt lines since desert storm?

Towntalk

Pentagon Says It Is Lifting Ban on Women in Combat 
Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta is lifting the military's ban on women in combat, which will open up hundreds of thousands of additional front-line jobs to them, senior defense officials said on Wednesday.[/t][/t][/t]