News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"Mahoning County Landbank Negated"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, February 05, 2011, 08:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

Just had a long conversation with a land neighbor on the eastside, they are excited to learn about the Utica oil shale!  They are interested in demolishing the abandoned house on their mothers land, they will use the signing bonus for funding.  Funny how capitalism works without the government or a landbank.

Rick Rowlands

It depends on location. For the three properties that I own, the govt. owns the right of way and the property line is a few feet back from the curb.                     

Youngstownshrimp

Mostly here in the mahoning county, the property owner owns up to the middle of the street as per their "legal discription" , the government only has a right-of-way.

AllanY2525

Doesn't the city own an easement at the front of lots which face the street?  I always thought
that the city owned the land between the sidewalk and the curb
(ie: the "Devil Strip").

That's how it works down here, but then of course every municipality is different......

:)

irishbobcat

Shrimp, big money people like you who don't pay taxes are BUMS!!!!!

Pay your taxes, Shrimp.....Help the city and county out for a change......

You need to be committed.......

Youngstownshrimp

Because I am tired of them supporting bums like you.  Besides the records will show I pay more taxes than you and your ilk combined, I'm sorry if I couldn't do more.  I guess I'm revolting like your friend at the Pig Iron, I like him, he is withholding property taxes too, making a statement against wanton waste.  You seriously need to get a job man and pick yourself up, get some shrink help or something.  I think I'm going to see Carol, Lanzo, or Stocker and have you committed, you spend way too much time here bro. 

Well, got to go to work now and pay taxes to support bums like you, cya!

irishbobcat

Shrimp, why don't you pay your property taxes?

Youngstownshrimp

Here's a tip for everyone, rule of thumb is it takes 10 city lots to make an acre plus you own up to the middle of the street.  Neighborhoods need to group together and assemble yourselves into larger acreage, this is what is happenning now with bigger land.  Keep in mind, that every inch of land is needed and every small lot will produce.  Another tip, if you have vacant city landbank land next door to you, call the City and tell them to give it to you and you will pay the taxes, they produce ZERO anyway and the City has no clue what to do with them.

Youngstownshrimp

The laws of economics are at play in a big way in the Mahoning county today.  We are beginning to learn that the fastest way to kill a bad idea or bad bureaucracy is to DEFUND it.  For instance, deconstruction, although a novel idea, the market cannot support it thus, dead.  Rossetta Stone, again good idea, no market downtown ,dead.  Fortunately, funding is drying up in America and grant writing is now being frowned on.  There are a lot of PORK institutions in Mahoning county and they are fighting each other now for funding.  It is good to see the slate cleaning up and raw capitalism coming forth.  Now this leads me to the County landbank, it is no secret that the City has thousands of parcels in THEIR landbank producing ZERO and now bureaucrats want us to believe that a County Landbank is different?  It makes me laugh how the entitled try to morph into something new when they see their funding drying up.

There is one reason now why the County Landbank proposal is NEGATED, the discovery of Oil and Gas under all our land in the county.  You see our land is now a COMMODITY, the set price of an acre TODAY is $2000 just to sign a meneral lease!  Yes, you can call up an Oil company right now and they will pay you 2K for each acre.  This does not even include the royalties that will be generated for 20-30 years!  As we speak, investors are gobbling up every inch of land in the county.  There is no difference between City land and suburbia land, every inch is now valuable.  To sum it all up is that land now is valuable and will no longer sit in landbanks like the City's for 50 years.  The question today is what to do with all the money the City's landbank is now worth and to get this new found wealth in the hands of the people and not the politicians.