News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Newspapers

Started by Towntalk, March 10, 2009, 09:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Blogs are good, but they can't provide all the features that we get in newspapers such as obits, marrage announcement, good sports coverage, society notes, coupons, ads for grocery stores, unique news stories, investigative reports on city and county issues, legal notices, comics to name a few features unique to newspapers.

Further, local officials don't react to blogs the way they do newspaper articles, nor do they provide blogs the information that they provide to newspapers and radio and television news.

ytowner

Blogs are the future. So read this one:
www.MVRed.com

Maggy

The Plain Dealer is expected to close or go digital only by the end of 2010.

While we are talking newspapers, my compliments to Susie and Ray S. for their letter to the editor on Tuesday.

sfc_oliver

That would be a big change. But we have seen so many changes in the way we communicate this past 30 years. From cordless phones in our house to internet and cell phones. And now even GPS.

It is a remarkable changing world.

But no newspapers.....hard to imagine
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

Time was when, on my way home from work Sunday mornings I would stop at my favorite newsstand to pick up copies if my favorite newspapers (four of them) and spend the morning curled up in my favorite chair armed with a cup of coffee to read them, while Mother would enjoy working the crosswords.

Today, newspapers across the country are fighting for survival:

The Ten Major Newspapers That Will Fold Or Go Digital Next

http://247wallst.com/2009/03/09/the-ten-major-newspapers-that-will-fold-or-go-digital-next/

Today, instead of buying papers, I can go on-line, and have hundreds of newspapers to choose from, buy I can't help but wonder what would happen if some bright morning we were to read that the last newspaper published its last paper, and from that day onward, we would no longer have access to the many features that only a newspaper can give us.

Set aside politics ... we all know that conservatives hate the "mainstream press" and ask yourself how you would get the latest news on your favorite sports team, find out who passed away, the comics, and a whole host of other features that you can only find in a newspaper.