News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Poor Quality of Local Newscasters

Started by jazz218, March 23, 2019, 10:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

I saw this today on the 6:00 p.m. news on Ch 33.

The news video must have ended a second too soon.  The live camera caught to female newscaster sticking her tongue out.

Why?Town

Quote from: jazz218 on March 23, 2019, 05:24:19 PM
I guess you must like watching the "live drive action cam" every time we get 1/4" of snow. That's about the highlight of the local news broadcasts.

I sure as heck wasn't trying to defend local news, just saying cable news has problems too.

jay

The morning female news anchor on Channel 21 often uses a double subject when reporting the news.

Example of a double subject

Mayor Brown, he will address the citizens of Youngstown later this week.

jazz218

I guess you must like watching the "live drive action cam" every time we get 1/4" of snow. That's about the highlight of the local news broadcasts.

Why?Town

While cable news may get more pronunciations correct, the amount of actual news they put out is slim to none.

It's their opinion after their opinion after their opinion... (I'll stop here because I could just keep typing the same three words for the rest of my life and not catch up with them) :'(

jazz218

It seem that our local broadcast TV stations hire the most inexperienced and poorly trained newscasters on the market. My head is about to explode after listening the the WKBN weekend anchor repeatedly mispronounce the U.S. Army "Corpse" of Engineers. These types of repeated blunders are common occurrences on all three stations, and make one wonder whether the low quality carries over into other aspects of reporting such as accuracy.
The local audience should demand more. For one, I find myself increasingly foregoing the local news and switching to the national cable channels.