News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

..here we go again.

Started by Smokey362, January 28, 2007, 12:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

y town streets

You are so right it is hard enough for the young men to get a job let alone the older ones. you can cancel christmas if you are in you'er 50 s. thay look at you like where have you been all this time. Its better if you go to school now whail you'er still in you'er 50s. even with that you probley get looks like you are a alien.  i have been lucky to have been on the same job for 18 yrs, but i dont put abything past them either it pays to have a back up plan or move out of y town.

Micky

Most of us may be in the same situation the way things have been around this valley.  Some of us have only 1 income & would be totally devastated if we lost our employment.  Wish we could offer some glimmer of hope to finding gainful employment, but the employment situation around seems bleak.  It appears to be true that a person can only get a job because he "knows the right people".

We've been searching for better jobs for the past few years, have college degrees (sometimes meaningless to prospective employers), & can't find a better way of life. 

Wish we had great solutions to helping you find employment.  You may think that everyone thinks Ytown is rosy - we just try to find some enjoyment in what IS available.

Towntalk

Heavens no about Dem's etc.

My point was that we, and I include myself, seem to forget that there are many people in the valley that are hurting, and can barely make it from month to month.

The valley has the highest utility rates in the state.
Bankruptcy's are high and growing every year.
Fuel prices are among the highest in the state.

Without a job, how are these families suppose to support theaters, restaurants, and the like and still put food on their tables, or pay their utility bills much less medical care or clothing for their children.

How many of us make a sacrifice to help the Salvation Army's EnergyShare program, or the various food banks?

Or, when the Mail Carriers conduct their annual food drive, how many of us who are more fortunate, put stuff out for them?

We talk the talk but do we walk the walk?

We don't need to get confrontational on this subject, it serves no purpose whatever, but we can put our heads together to find a way that we can help those of our neighbors who need help and still support our pet projects and interests. If we were for example have a quarterly food collection to go to the food banks, and add a single dollar a month to our gas bill payment to go towards the EnergyShare program, we would be doing a whole lot.

We are after all when it comes right down to it, our brother's keeper.

By the way, without bragging I do add a dollar a month to my gas bill payment, put out can goods to help the Mail Carrier Food Drive, and whenever the Supermarket I shop at has a food drive, contribute, as well as supporting Catholic Charities and the Rescue Mission. These were things that were instilled in me by my Mother and Father.

ForumManager

I feel for you, Smokey.  I know many people that are in similar situations.

Even though the folks on this board do try to support locals arts and food establishments, it not because we have our heads in the sand.
It is to support our community. Most of us  also try to support local businesses.

Businesses look at all aspects of a community when they relocate. 
I believe this board shows all sides of this valley. 
Here we are, warts and all... complaining about  crime, urban decay,  lack of development, lack of jobs, even listening to police calls.
I don't feel we paint a pretty picture at all... it is a balance of good and bad,  probably leaning more toward the bad.
Our membership is a group of folks that is concerned about this community and its future.
Would you prefer we be ugly  to each other and tear down every public figure like the people at dems17.org and vindy.com?

The opportunity for people to post about local events and classifieds is part of the whole community website package.
People tell me all the time that they wouldn't have known about something going on if it wasn't here.
IMHO, More people should take advantage of the calendar and classifieds.
Please feel free to post an ad that you are looking for work.
The front page of this site gets over 500 visitors a day.

jay

I see various help wanted signs around the area from time to time.  I will notify you the next time I see one.  Maybe one of these notices will lead to your next job.

Jay

Towntalk

I have to agree with Smokey.

We here, myself included are so wrapped up in our own little interests that in the bigger picture amount to absolutely nothing, and forget that there are fellow citizens out there that are struggling just to survive. Such things as going to a show or dining out at te latest restraunt is out of the question for them.

It seems that we never learn. We are faced with more cutbacks at GM, Delphi and Forum, more lost jobs ... this is serious folks. And the bad part about it is that we are helpless to prevent these job losses, so what can we do?

Close our eyes and run off to the latest show? Jump into our cars and scurry off to the new diner that just opened up down the road, and forget that soon this valley  will loose all its good paying jobs, and one by one, those restraunts and theaters will be forced to close their doors because they can't generate enough income to stay open?

It's great that we cheer those who are willing to risk everything to open up a new business, but at the same time we must never forget that this valley is fighting for it's economic survivle.

Smokey362

Sure, this last company was located at the state line on US422.  A farm, construction, and agriculture dealer specializing in Gravely, Stihl, Honda.  If they would have lasted until March, they would have been open 2 years.  12/7 was my one year anniversary.  I've done everything from working in a steel mill, a railroad, a grocery store, a trucking company, and now a farm supply.  The Youngstown area may be a great place for a 18year old to find a job, but once you're over 50, forget it.  You bag groceries, or greet people at Walmart.

jay

May I ask the type of company at which you were employed?

Smokey362

Well, 2 weeks ago, my boss said "we're closing, going out of business".  Ok people.  You are all up in arms about all the benefits of living in the Youngstown area.  Well, as you sit there, on your pensions, looking out at the world dreaming "Willy Wonka" dreams.  Imagine me.  I'm 57.  Have been married for 33 years.  This is the SIXTH company that I have worked for in my life that went out of business!!!!
  You can post "until the cows come home"....but imagine being 57 and looking for a job......got any suggestions? 
  When you go for an interview, the person behind the desk sees grey hair and they flip a switch in their head from on....to off.
  You can talk all about the Youngstown area....how wonderful it is....how beautiful it is...paint flowers and pretty pictures for someone....who knows...to see...but imagine yourself 57 and out of a job......again.

The replies on THIS should be """VERY""" interesting.