News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

How about this for the valley: comes with no earthquakes!!!

Started by Irishbobcat, March 12, 2014, 04:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

Alternative energy really isn't and should not be a partisan issue.  They are simply forms of energy.  Each form has their own role to play and in a rational society there would be a mix of coal, nat gas, solar, oil, wind, hydro all working in conjunction with one another.  Where it gets political is when some people want to irrationally replace one form of energy with another without regard as to which one is best in that particular situation, or whether that form is actually up to the task.

In my case, we have a museum that is open mainly in the summer during the day.  Most of those days are sunny, so the potential for solar to provide for our needs is matched by our usage.  We are not open at night nor do we do much over the winter.  Our decision to go with solar was not made because of any political calculations but made by pure economics after a thorough investigation of all the available options. 

We will also be generating our "heavy" power needs (3 phase and 250VDC) with the diesel engine on our locomotive.  This also is done with an eye toward economy, dictated by the way that the power companies bill for 3 phase power.  While diesel generation is less efficient than purchasing from the grid, demand charges incurred from our periodic use of 50 to 100 KW kicks the cost way up over what we would pay to run the diesel engine on those occasions. 

Its all economics and no politics!

Youngstownshrimp

I really don't hob nob with anyone, you know me I am a true activist, not just talk or pork like the MVOC and YNDC.  Remember, I was arrested for growing shrimp in Youngstown, I put my work on the line.  Anyway, let's roll.

Irishbobcat

Ron, I'm going to hold you to that last statement....I'll be by to talk....

Ricky, we may just turn you into a green liberal yet........

Youngstownshrimp

If the truth must be known, I would say many on this site for the last few years are leaders of the Valley, and that includes you Dennis.  Just think of what we can do if we for once , stop the debates and work on a project together, what a thought  8)

Irishbobcat

Ron, you're the business leader who hob nobs with the new mayor and backs Mrs. Hagan for state rep...you need to lead and use these political contacts....I'm just an old fool a la Dog Sled.....

Rick Rowlands

I'm already there!  As soon as spring gets here we will be installing deep cycle batteries, solar charger, panels and an inverter at the Tod Engine Heritage Park to provide our 120VAC power needs.  This will be our main source of power or the museum.  New translucent wall panels along the south side will reduce the amount of interior lighting needed as well.  I don't expect ever having to hook the museum up to the grid.

Youngstownshrimp

Dennis,
Once again, I'm in, lead the way....show us what to do next?