News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Newspaper Delivery

Started by Towntalk, April 05, 2013, 03:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

Lucky you. There are 6 steps in front of the house, they throw it from the bottom. Where it ends up they care not......
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Billy Mumphrey

I have a middle aged couple deliver my paper daily. They always place the paper in the same spot on my side porch.

sfc_oliver

I still get home delivery but i am really getting tired of searching for it. When I was 13 years old I had a paper route and I had certain people who wanted their paper in a certain place every day. One elderly lady wanted it in her screen door. A little extra time equaled a nice little tip each week. But I have even had to climb out on the porch roof....

I've been seriously thinking about dropping it.... I did once don't remember why I started it back up again....
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Billy Mumphrey

I for one enjoy actually holding a newspaper while reading it in the kitchen, bathroom, etc. I was given a tablet as a gift and can't get used to reading news copy by dragging my finger across the screen, tapping the screen, etc. I know if home delivery of the Vindicator eventually happens I will be lost.

Towntalk

Are the days of home delivery of a daily newspaper numbered?

The Plain Dealer announced that they will be cutting home delivery of their newspaper to three days a week but will have the whole paper online and subscribers of the home delivery service will have free access to the online editions.

For those who are not computer literate, they will have to buy their papers at a local newsstand.

Many other papers including The Vindicator have the full edition of the paper online for a subscription rate, but still also have home delivery, but the time is coming when all the major newspapers will opt for online only as production costs continue to increase.

For many like myself, the online content is more than sufficient, and in point of fact, with all the news content that is available, I don't miss very much, for even the daily comics are available on line free.

I use to go out of my way to buy at lease three newspapers a day, and on Sundays four, but since so many have online content, my purchase of newspapers has dropped to zero.

For the news junky, my website links to 1000 newspapers world wide daily, and includes such extra features as the daily comics and crossword puzzles, and on any given Sunday, I can sit down and get my fill of all the things that I would otherwise spend good money on by buying print editions.

A case in point ... the New York Times which costs about $5.00 for the Sunday edition.

In any case, very few people actually sit down and read every page of any newspaper so what sections that are not available online are really not missed.

One of the traditional features of the print edition of newspapers that many folks look forward to are the grocery store ads, but even these are now available online as well as being delivered to the homes by the mailman.

Something to think about ... no more sitting at the breakfast table reading the newspaper over a cup of coffee a ritual in many homes in the good old days, but soon we won't have to chase around trying to find where the paperboy tossed the paper, or trudge out on a cold winters morning to retrieve the paper from the paper tube or front porch.