News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Destroy Our Future Meetings

Started by Towntalk, March 31, 2013, 09:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

I don't know about you Billy, but I go back to the 1940's ... 73 years to be exact and Why?Town is right ... our environment has made huge leaps forward ... and as new technologies expand even more changes will be seen ... technologies developed by capitolist industries and not the environmentalists ... consider one such company that has recently come to Youngstown that can create precise parts for cars, trucks, machinery, aircraft and thousands of other applications with no adverse effect on the environment ... no smoke, no water pollution, and no waste to dispose of.

The environmentalists had nothing to do with this new technology ...it came out of the private sector.

Why?Town

Quote from: Billy Mumphrey on April 01, 2013, 08:00:22 PM
All I know is when I was a kid Earth Day and being an environmentalist was something looked upon as being a good thing. What has changed in 40 years?

What has changed? Plenty. The USA (and probably most of he civilized world) is cleaner today than it's been in 100 years. Thanks in no small part to environmentalists.

The problem is that most environmentalists today seem to fail to see the the progress that's been made. Many seem to have set the Garden of Eden as their goal regardless of the cost (in both quality of life and $$$). The largest groups, even the non-profits,  need to continuously move their goal because if they would ever reach it, their existence and associated  funding would end. The salaries they pay reach well into the 6 figures. Some of them even take donations from companies with some of the worst environmental track records. For example BP donates millions every year to environmental groups.

The way I see it, there needs to be a balance but most environmentalists just want to keep the scale tipped.

Towntalk

Billy, in the main, the object first and formost on the part of any talk show host is to generate ratings for the station which manifests itself in higher numbers of sponsors.

Now there are exceptions to the rule such was the case with Louie Free who bought time on the stations that he worked at, and in order for the whole scheme, he had to go out and try to find sponsors. Obviously, even after the Vindicatior took him under their wings he couldn't increase sponsorship. Throughout his career, he bounced from one low power station after another all of whom were not able to generate the number of sponsors necessary to make their stations viable in one of the most competitive industries in America.

The hosts at WKBN play the devils advocate on most of the topics on their shows, and do so in to generate controversy the stuff of any good talk show, and shale oil is no exception. They want their listeners to use the brain God gave them to form an opinion whether it is pro or con, and on any given day their opinion can change in order to generate calls from callers with opposing views. That's the way the game is played. In any case, the views expressed are those of the host and callers, and does not represent the views of either the station or sponsors.

Why?Town

If you replaced all the motor vehicles with as many horse and buggies I bet the number of accidents wouldn't change much. better outlaw them too.

Towntalk

There is no argument that concern for the environment is important, but saddly the environmentalists go to the extreme. Members of my own family were Forest Rangers; operated fish hatcheries; and were game wardens, but in each case, they were not tree huggers in any sense of the word.

There was a day when we did not have the technology to keep down the pollution, but those days are long gone witness the V&M Star Steel's success in producing steel in an environmentally friendly way.

Do you remember the days when the local mills poured out smoke and silt? Today you don't see that.

Where are the greatest producers of pollution? China.

We can spend the next fifty years talking about accidents ... accidents do happen, and in spite of all our good efforts to midegate them, they will continue to happen, but does that mean that we should shut down whole industries that have accidents? If that's the case, then we should outlaw all forms of transportation except for the horse and buggy, because of all the accidents that cars and trucks and busses are in yearly.

Billy Mumphrey

All I know is when I was a kid Earth Day and being an environmentalist was something looked upon as being a good thing. What has changed in 40 years?

Youngstownshrimp

Environmentalist are un-American because they allow themselves to be used by the enemies of the USA...........I said it.  Fact, NG producers of the world are now threatened by the USA's new technology of horizontal drilling, even surpassing the technology of nuclear power.  What is missing from fractivist is their inability to understand the geopolitics, state-of-the-art and political funding by America's enemies.
Environmentalist, anti frackers are not.  Propagandist yes, take Jay for example "water contamination is a side effect of drilling."  Total lie, debunked over and over but propagandist don't care, they are programmed.  Jay, other than Youtube show us one "authority" to back up your statement.  Water contamination by accident yes, but not a general side effect.
The only true environmentalist are those who disconnect from the energy grid and show us how.

Billy Mumphrey

I just don't like the fact that environmentalists are being painted as un-American.

Towntalk

You're overlooking a very important fact Billy, about the debate on radio. Having done show prep for years, I can tell you with authority that anyone can call in and argue on either side ... pro and con, and it doesn't cost a thin dime ... BUT ... the Warren presentation not only will be one sided but you would have to shell out cold hard cash just to get in with absolutely no guarintee that you would be able to comment either pro or con.

Youngstown has been handed the opportunity for rebirth ... no one could ever have invisioned the day when we would see steel being made in Youngstown ever again, but that is exactly what has happened. Just as no one could have ever invisioned the day when Youngstown could ever be a technological hub, but that is exactly what is happening. No one ever thought that we would ever see the resurgence of interest in the downtown area, but that too is happening and soon, we will have our first downtown hotel in decades. Now thanks to shale oil, we are being handed another golden opportunity to bring high paying jobs back to Youngstown, and if we turn our backs on that we are condemning our city into a town that no one would ever want to bring a business to ... our educational institutions will suffer, our quality of life will suffer, and even more people will leave ...most particulairly our youth, for areas where they can find good paying jobs.

Why?Town

There really is no difference other than the cost.

Billy Mumphrey

I guess I'm just reading between the lines on what others have written about the anti-fracking crowd on this forum. How is this event any different than all the pro-fracking shows aired on WKBN radio weekly which only promote the gas/oil company side of drilling?

Towntalk

By the way Jay ... it's not the grass roots groups that affect the drug industry ... it's the FDA and CDC that does it ... government agencies with well qualified experts, and not a gaggle of protesters who do not have the training. You, I, and the man behind the tree have neither the training, skills, or knowledge to determine the safety of drugs.

The reason why there are drugs manufactured in Europe that are not permitted here is because the FDA and CDC have tested them,and found them wanting.

Also the FDA and CDC are alerted to problems by the doctors and hospitals of America, not protesters.

Certainly the associations such as heart and cancer input to the FDA and CDC, but they have trained doctors and scientists with the knowledge needed, and they are not a "grass roots organization" in any sense.

Why?Town

Quote from: Billy Mumphrey on April 01, 2013, 08:36:34 AM
So, are we saying any anti-frackers distribute misinformation and the gas/oil companies distribute information that is gospel?
Billy,

How did you come up with this scenario based on what has been posted in this thread?

I saw nothing about misinformation, only that the meeting will be biased against fracking.

Towntalk

Absolutely wrong! Even in a court of law both sides have to be heard.

In the instent case before us, only one side is being heard.

I know that many of you hate the petrolium industry with all your hearts and souls, and you wouldn't take their word for anything ... even the time of day, and nothing they say or do would count for anything.

Lets look at it this way ... were these same groups operating in the early 1900's it would have been the steel industry that they were bashing because of all th smoke and pollution. Even today these same folks bash the coal industry ... the tember industry ... cattle farming ... poltry industry and other industries that don't meet with their approval.

Let it be perfectly clear to one and all ... I want to see Youngstown regain it's pride ... people put back to work ... and a prosperous community period, and we are standing at the doorway to that very thing, and either we show a little courage to walk through that doorway, or we walk away with our tails between our legs and see Youngstown become a ghost town with nothing to offer anyone.

Billy Mumphrey

So, are we saying any anti-frackers distribute misinformation and the gas/oil companies distribute information that is gospel?