News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"Oil Can Pay Property Taxes"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, February 16, 2011, 08:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

Once again this old post is relevant today.
Property taxes are being paid because landowners in Youngstown are receiving revenue from their minerals.

Youngstownshrimp

It has come to pass as revealed months ago, people are scrambling to pay property taxes again on their land.  Land is beginning to be respected again in Youngstown.

irishbobcat

answer the question, shrimp.....or are you afraid to acknowledge the truth?

And you know the correct answer.......

Youngstownshrimp

Do you believe that treating your sewer is harmful to the environment?

irishbobcat

thanks for the personal info, Shrimp...way too much information about your ways of getting enjoyment.....

do you believe fracking is 100 percent safe and cause NO harm to the environment?

Youngstownshrimp

These aren't your words, please produce the qualified entity which produced these reports.  I can make the same argument about "crapping" in our toilets.  In fact when I was in college, we often lit our "farts" on fire. 

So here is what you are trying to say:  As with fracking, one can deduce that widespread crapping in our toilets is harmfull to our environment.  We waste a tremendous amount of water and we use toxic chemicals at the local sewer treatment plants.  I think I got it Dennis!  Let's continue to import oil and go bankrupt.

irishbobcat

The type of drilling used on the Marcellus Shale formation involves fracking: pumping a mixture of sand, water, and chemical additives under high pressure into the shale to fracture or break up the shale so as to release a greater flow of natural gas.

Fracking even a single natural gas well consumes millions of gallons of water, which can be a significant burden on local water tables.

As things currently stand, frackers are exempted from having to comply with the Clean Water Act. This means they can legally poison the water. By hiding behind a claim the chemicals are proprietary knowledge they are not even required to inform the public of the chemicals that they are pumping into the ground, which can include methanol, diesel, anhydrous ammonia, ethylene glycol, toluene, xylene, various other complex hydrocarbons, some of which are proven carcinogens, hydrogen sulfide (aka hydrosulfuric acid), other industrial acids, arsenic, and possibly even radioactive barium!

Each well produces millions of gallons of industrial wastewater that require cleaning.

While the drilling is occurring, each well typically stores their fracking water in a pit near the drilling pad. If these pits overflow or leak they contaminate local water supplies and cause environmental damage.

Worse yet, each well typically leaves 20-25% of the toxic fracking water (i.e. over a million gallons per well) in the ground. That in-ground pollution has the potential to poison aquifers that provide local drinking water. Residents of Ridgway, PA, found their spring water supply poisoned by local drillers. The water was unfit even to shower in, as it burned and interfered with breathing.

Youngstownshrimp

Okay Dennis, explain it to us, we are listening.  In you own words, enlighten us please.  After college I worked in the Submarine Design office of Newport News Shipbuilding, I believe I am well qualified to digest all the technical rationale and argument YOU can explain to us, please begin:

irishbobcat

FRACKING IS STILL BAD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT RON, ANY SANE PERSON CAN REALIZE THAT.

Youngstownshrimp

Continuing to import oil is bad for our lives, "I Kill You" they say.  No, there is no stopping Ohio now, "drill baby drill!", "Long live Capitalism!"

irishbobcat

FRACKING IS BAD FOR OUR ENVIRONMENT.

Youngstownshrimp

Pretty soon all parcels in Mahoning county will start generating royalties from the the harvesting of our oil.  The county should pass an ordnance that because our laws have property taxes being "in rem" (this means that the liability is with the property) , the proceeds from the oil royalties should be applied automatically towards property taxes.