News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Day One Of 2011

Started by jay, January 02, 2011, 07:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

Kennyjoe

I can't imagine anyone moving into a home at 2:00 a.m. 
Maybe they are squatters.

northside lurker

Quote from: kenneyjoe330 on January 02, 2011, 08:33:03 PM
Excuse me westsider - let me say something about those "most people" - they must have the money or find a way to finance their move to the suburbs.  As much as I love Lansingville if I had the money I am pretty sure I would be out of here.  I am just tired of half my life reporting people who put their trash out on Wednesday when pick up is on Monday. When people move into a house at 2 AM with loud music playing.   When you have to call 911 just as you put your head on the pillow because you heard gun shots very very close or when you get to a person shot twice (about five houses away)and you get there just as the paramedics arrive or when the police call for back up because they are chasing someone past 20 or more people that instead of stopping the person being chased - rather cheering the person on and the police fear for themselves.  The police are excellent at times and very bad at other times.  When they find someone shot in the head and dead a few days two short blocks away and the latest and first shotting of the year just three short blocks away.  I have done what ever I could to promote Lansingville and always will even if I move.  I have two grown children and if they were school age I would be out of here no matter what.  I admire those who move into Youngstown but I sure don't blame anyone for moving out or the way you put it "turning their back".   

To be honest, I can't relate because I don't live in a neighborhood like the one you describe.  I don't know what I would do if I had to deal with that kind of stuff on a regular basis.  But since there are still quiet neighborhoods in the city, (I know there are, I live in one) that doesn't explain why so many people do turn their back on the city, and move to the suburbs.  My neighborhood has declined in the time I've been here.  But I wonder what would have happened if some of the people leaving the "war zone" neighborhoods had chosen to move to my neighborhood, instead of the suburbs.

And Rick, I joked with my aunt--who really does live in the country--that I heard more gunfire on the one afternoon I spent at her house, (for Thanksgiving) than I did in the previous 8 years I've lived in my house. :)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

Yes move out of that liberal utopia called the inner city and out into the country where the only gunfire you hear is from the neighbors shooting targets, and the occasional early morning hunter bagging a deer. I think some on this forum think that your commitment to the city should be more important than your right to live your life free of fear.  I suppose its collectivist thinking vs. individual thinking at work.

Oh if you do come to the country don't expect there to be a library branch or post office on every corner, and if you stand out front looking for a bus we'll just look at you funny and laugh.

kenneyjoe330

Excuse me westsider - let me say something about those "most people" - they must have the money or find a way to finance their move to the suburbs.  As much as I love Lansingville if I had the money I am pretty sure I would be out of here.  I am just tired of half my life reporting people who put their trash out on Wednesday when pick up is on Monday. When people move into a house at 2 AM with loud music playing.   When you have to call 911 just as you put your head on the pillow because you heard gun shots very very close or when you get to a person shot twice (about five houses away)and you get there just as the paramedics arrive or when the police call for back up because they are chasing someone past 20 or more people that instead of stopping the person being chased - rather cheering the person on and the police fear for themselves.  The police are excellent at times and very bad at other times.  When they find someone shot in the head and dead a few days two short blocks away and the latest and first shotting of the year just three short blocks away.  I have done what ever I could to promote Lansingville and always will even if I move.  I have two grown children and if they were school age I would be out of here no matter what.  I admire those who move into Youngstown but I sure don't blame anyone for moving out or the way you put it "turning their back". 

northside lurker

Quote from: Why?Town on January 02, 2011, 10:07:14 AM
Is it any wonder people want out of the city?

How do we solve the problem, when most people are only interested in turning their back on it by moving to the suburbs?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Why?Town

Is it any wonder people want out of the city?

jay

I listened to the police scanner until late last night.  In addition to the first homicide of the year, the YPD responded to about 260 calls on New Year's Day.   This activity was probably far more per capita than any suburban police force.