News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Ted Strickland:Hurting Human Services In Ohio

Started by irishbobcat, July 21, 2010, 09:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Moadus

As Ronald Reagan said, who is certainly next to the good Lord, "There you go again".

irishbobcat

As the good Lord said, "Cast no pearls in front of swine."

Dan Moadus

Yeah, you always say you could produce, but you don't. Just saying you could refute Rick doesn't cut it. If we don't see the numbers, I guess we can safely conclude you lied.

irishbobcat

I can throw numbers out as well that show Ohio is not a high tax state....but you jokers wouldn't believe it....so why waste my time on a hot summer day...

Why?Town

Dan,

It's not Denny's fault......he drank the green kool-aid.

Dan Moadus

Did you just ask Rick what his point is? I have to keep reading it to believe you would ask that. Just what part of his first paragraph did you not understand? He cited a Tax Foundation report that said that we went from being the 45th highest taxed state to the 7th.  Now if you had disputed his figures and offered some countering information I could understand it, but you didn't. I am really getting tired of your unwillingness to engage anyone in meaningful debate. Ridicule is not debate.

irishbobcat

What's your point, Ricky? Ohio is not a high tax state...........

Rick Rowlands

From the Tax Foundation:

Ohio taxpayers have gone from some of the least taxed in the 1970s to some of the most heavily taxed today, climbing 38 places from 45th highest in 1977 to 7th highest in 2008. Estimated at 10.4% of income, Ohio's state/local tax burden percentage ranks well above the national average of 9.7%. Ohio taxpayers pay $4,049 per capita in state and local taxes.

Ohio ranks 47th in the Tax Foundation's State Business Tax Climate Index. The Index compares the states in five areas of taxation that impact business: corporate taxes; individual income taxes; sales taxes; unemployment insurance taxes; and taxes on property, including residential and commercial property. Neighboring states ranked as follows: Indiana (12th), Pennsylvania (27th), West Virginia (37th), Kentucky (20th) and Michigan (17th).

Ohio's personal income tax system is one of the nation's most complex and is composed of nine separate tax brackets. Ohio's top rate of 5.925% kicks in at an income level of $200,000. Among states that levy personal income taxes, Ohio's top tax rate is 28th highest nationally. Ohio's 2008 state-level individual income tax collections were $854 per person, which ranked 26th highest nationally.   

A gross receipts-style tax, the Commercial Activity Tax (CAT) was implemented in 2005. It was phased in through 2010, while the Corporate Franchise Tax (Ohio's corporate income tax) was phased out. Starting April 1, 2009 the CAT rate is .26%. For tax year 2009 companies owe 20% of Corporate Franchise Tax liability. In 2008, state-level corporate tax collections (excluding local taxes) were $65, which ranked 45th highest nationally.

Dan Moadus

Quote from: irishbobcat on July 21, 2010, 10:28:26 AM
Ohio is not a high tax state.....Ohio is below average....There is no relationship that increasing revenues and state spending
hampers economic growth....whatever you are smoking, Dan, please stop....
I'd agree with that. Increasing "revenues" and increasing "spending" doesn't necessarily hamper growth. However, increasing "taxes" does.

irishbobcat

Ohio is not a high tax state.....Ohio is below average....There is no relationship that increasing revenues and state spending
hampers economic growth....whatever you are smoking, Dan, please stop....

Dan Moadus

Raising taxes. Now that's a great idea. How hard is it to understand that tax hikes do more harm than good. Does Dennis even consider the companies looking for places to locate that won't even consider high tax States? And why is it that anytime cuts have to be made, they are made to services. How about cutting wages, benefits, and pensions of the States employees? Why shouldn't public employees share the suffering of those who pay them when hard times come about?

irishbobcat

Ted Strickland:Hurting Human Services In Ohio

Tax cuts under the Ted Strickland administration have reduced the state's revenues by more than $2 billion per year. When combined with revenue losses from the recession, the state cannot meet current obligations to provide basic programs such as mental health, adult and child protective services, and emergency assistance for families in need.

The next budget will be even worse for health and social services if revenues are not increased. Ted Strickland's current budget relies heavily on federal stimulus funds and one-time state funds, creating a budget deficit of $ 6 Billion to $8 Billion by fiscal year 2012.

Ted Strickland has no plan to raise revenues. Ted Strickland continues to talk about making drastic cuts to the state budget if re-elected.

Can Human Services continue to take massive cuts from Ted Strickland's budget cutting knife? I say no.

It's time save Human Services in Ohio.