News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Who is he?

Started by Towntalk, April 15, 2010, 10:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

Not only did I bid on it, I won it.  Thanks again.

Towntalk

I'll yeald to your expert knowledge Rick and thank you for the correction.

By the way, did you put a bid in on the badge?

Rick Rowlands

I knew you would try to cite the Ohio Works, but Andrew Carnegie had nothing to do with thatplant.

The Ohio Steel Company was founded in 1893 by local capital.  In 1899 the company was sold to National Steel. In 1901 National Steel, Federal Steel and Carnegie Steel combined to form United States Steel. Andrew Carnegie's interest in Carnegie Steel was purchased at this time, so in reality, never did the Ohio Works come under the control of Andrew Carnegie himself.

Towntalk

:) That was too easy.

Carnegie Steel/U.S. Steel/Ohio Works

Rick Rowlands

Andrew Carnegie

What major contributions did he make to Youngstown? Well he did give some cash for the construction of the Reuben McMillan Library.  His company did purchase quite a bit of pig iron from the merchant iron furnaces in the Youngstown District in the years before Carnegie's blast furnaces could provide for their own needs. 

Were there any others?

Towntalk

While never living in Youngstown, this man made some major contributions to the city.

Name him

Name his contributions