News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

V&M Employment

Started by jay, February 16, 2010, 08:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why?Town

Townships get their money from property taxes. They are (were?) considerably higher than in the cities because they can't charge income tax.

It's been several years now but I remember a Vindy article about property taxes that listed the different per capita property tax in the area. I only remember Girard (because I lived there) and Austintown (because my now wife lived there). At the time every Girard resident paid about $25 and every Austintown resident paid about $80.

If higher property taxes in the townships is still the norm (I imagine it is), township residents that pay city income tax get slammed twice.

john r. swierz

Now here is the Paul Harvey--  If you live in say , Struthers and work in ytown. If struthers 1.5%, then they get that and Ytown would get 1.25%  If you live in a township then everything goes to ytown.

iwasthere

i am a substitute teacher in struthers and canfield and i live in ytown. i pay taxes to all the school districts that they reside in that particular city that i do not mind because i am helping to maintain city services that they provide to their residents and visitors.

Why?Town

Actually it does make a difference. If you work in youngstown and live in another city you pay youngstown's tax rate. I believe it's the highest in the state.

And those that are lucky enough to both live and work in a township pay no income tax.

AllanY2525

OK,

Thanks for addressing my curiousity.  So basically, it really shouldn't make any difference
where the employees of VXI live - as Youngstown will continue to collect taxes on their
income, regardless.

ytowner

Quote from: Steve Novotny on March 09, 2010, 12:36:08 PM
Yes, and as far as I know, that is true for any municipality that collects an income tax. People who work in Niles and live outside Niles pay their income tax.
You are correct. I live in Austintown, yet I work in Youngstown and pay their income tax.

Rushblvd

It's true. I work in Girard and live in Youngstown and pay.

northside lurker

Quote from: AllanY2525 on March 09, 2010, 10:14:25 AM
Question:

Do people who work in Youngstown and live outside the city pay any city taxes?

Just curious...

Yes.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

AllanY2525

Question:

Do people who work in Youngstown and live outside the city pay any city taxes?

Just curious...

jay

The city of Youngstown can't force its own employees to live in the city anymore so why should anyone expect V&M to hire a certain percentage of city residents?

Towntalk

Press Release:

Please note that the home office of V&M in its press release said "around 350 new direct jobs." Which could mean either more or less.

Press Release:

http://www.vallourec.fr/download.asp?murl=pub/communiques_uk/122_C.pdf

And what about V&M employees who were laid off. Wouldn't they get first crack at the jobs?

Rick Rowlands

Your remark is racist by definition.  The jobs should go to the most qualified applicants, regardless of skin color.  Isn't that what MLK was talking about in his big speech in DC?  Why do you wish to perpetuate racism by making stupid comments placing a quota on hiring?

There should also be no geographical preferences to hiring.  A person's place of residence should not have any bearing on their place of work.

Why?Town

I wouldn't be surprised if youngstown required any new hires from Girard to move to Youngstown.

jay

Questions From A Morning Radio Talk Show Today

Will V&M be required to hire a certain percentage of employees from the city of Youngstown and the city of Girard?

With Youngstown at 50% minority population, will 50% of the jobs go to minorities?