News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Middleclass Tax Hike

Started by Towntalk, August 02, 2009, 11:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

I guess that adding an extra tax to only one third of the poorest Americans is OK then.

"Economic status and level of education also influence the likelihood of smoking, according to the report. For instance, 32 percent of people who live below the poverty line smoke, compared with 24 percent of those who are not poor. People with less than a high school education are far more likely to smoke than those who are college educated, by a margin of 37 percent to 11.3 percent. These statistics have shown little change in the past decade."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m4021/is_ISSN_0163-4089/ai_75171026/
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

rusty river

Good question. Data on minors is hard to find, especially on their use of controlled substances like tobacco. One source I found estimated that 9% of all middle schoolers are smokers, and that 28% of those in high school smoke. Can't seem to find this data broken down by income levels though.

Towntalk

How many of that almost 70% poverty level are minors like age 1 to 17?

rusty river

Quote from: sfc_oliver on August 03, 2009, 06:56:29 PM
Knowing that the poorest Americans are most likely to be smokers.

Only 33% of those living under the poverty level are smokers.

Which means that almost 70% of the poorest Americans are NOT smokers.

Towntalk

And in September they are going to try to ban all U.S. Mail shippments of all tobacco products.

UPS and FedEx already have a ban on.

Most mailorder tobacco products com from American Indian companies in Indian reservations.

sfc_oliver

And with all this how fast did they add the 200% increase (Or whatever amount it was) to Cigarette tax.

Knowing that the poorest Americans are most likely to be smokers.

Towntalk

LARRY SUMMERS, W.H. CHIEF ECONOMIC ADVISER: There's a lot that can happen over time. But the priority right now, so it's never a good idea to absolutely rule things -- rule things out no matter what.

TIMOTHY GEITHNER, TREASURY SECRETARY: Well, we're going to have to look at -- we're going to do what's necessary. Remember, the critical thing is people understand that when we have recovery established led by the private sector, then we have to bring these down -- deficits down very dramatically. What the country needs to do is understand we're going to have to do what it takes. We're going to do what's necessary.

(OCTOBER 30, 2008)
BARACK OBAMA, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES: Under my plan, tax rates will actually be less than they were under Ronald Reagan. If you make less than $250,000 a year, you will not see your taxes increase one single dime.

If you make less than a quarter million dollars a year, you will not see one -- your taxes increase one single dime: not your payroll taxes, not your income taxes, not your capital gains taxes, nothing.

If you make under $250,000, you will not see your taxes increase by a single dime. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax. Not your capital gains tax, no tax.

Monday morning:
ROBERT GIBBS, WHITE HOUSE PRESS SECRETARY: I'm reiterating the president's clear commitment in the clearest terms possible that he's not raising taxes on those who make less than $250,000.

Towntalk

Oh, I knew that it would happen sooner or later, and I agree that added to all the other things that Obama has done since taking office could very well make him a one term president.

The bigger question is ... will the voters remember it in 2012?

ytowner

Of course all the conservatives warned about this. If this occurs, this is death sentence to a 2012 bid for Obama.

Each and EVERY day during the campaign he promised he would NOT raise taxes on the middle class; well it looks like he is going to rescind on that promise.

This is the equivalent of Bush 41 stating: NO NEW TAXES.

sfc_oliver

Oh come on Towntalk, you knew as well as everyone else it was going to happen. Seems like it took them longer to get to everyone this time is all.