News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

How Not To Cut Grass

Started by jay, May 18, 2007, 04:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenna

I am fortunate to be a member of the West Side Nosey Neighbors Block Watch. They try very hard to take care of both the big and the small problems. The monthly meetings are a good way to keep in touch with the police department and the councilwomen. I  can see from the pictures that Jay posts that sometimes people do ignore some of the things going on in the city. Sometimes it is a slow response time from the city. Thanks Jay for making me look at some of the sewers. I probably would not have looked unless you mentioned the storms drains. Thanks Ted for the email address of the city. I called this morning but I also emailed the info. Thanks everyone.

Towntalk

Obviously your neighborhood is the exception to the rule. Travel extensively over the city and you'll find that most people couldn't care less. Jay has demonstrated this over and over again to his everlasting credit. Great work Jay.

Glenna

Already called!! I do not just gripe. Most people that I know do try to do something about the problems in the neighborhood.

Towntalk

Thanks for the correction Ted, and thanks for the information. Too many see a problem and simply gripe about it without picking up the phone and reporting a problem. How is the city to know about problems if everyone keeps mum?

These storm sewers are very important and flooded basements can result if they are plugged up. Would any of you want that to happen?

Ted

Actually, it is the Waste Water Department that maintain the sewers. Our block watch recently identified all the sewers that needed attention and forwarded to Bill Updegraff in the WWD. He appreciated getting the list via email. I would suggest anyone else to do the same thing, just make sure your locations are well labeled using correct addresses and/or proper directions when referring to intersection corners. WW was on it within 3 days of me sending the list. The email address for Bill is billupde@cityofyoungstownoh.com

Towntalk

You can blame the Youngstown Street Department for the sorry state of that sewer, and many others like it. It's their responsability to maintain them, and obviously they are not doing their job.

It's NOT the responsability of us to get out there and maintain the sewers. There's much more to it than scraping out the dirt, and without the proper tools you could do more harm than good. Besides that dirt must be treated as hazardous waste.

Glenna

I do not know how much we have to worry about it getting into the sewers if there are more like this around town. It kinda looks like dirt and grass are blocking any water from going into the sewer. I still say alot of people that leave that much grass and trash in the street are lazy.

Towntalk

That's why I get so sick when I see trash tossed willy-nilly on our streets by ignorent pigs.

As for grass clippings, they do not harm our streams (Crab Creek) or rivers (Mahoning). Don't forget, vegatation is itself a vital part of all aqua environments including those that provide us our drinking water.

Granted, it wouldn't hurt anyone to sweep up after they mow their lawns, and it would be absolutely wonderful if we had an absolutely pure and pristeen environment that is absolutely free of any sort of clutter including litter and grass clippings, but even in our parks, including Mill Creek Park, one of the national treasures, you don't see park workers out sweeping up every blade of grass they mow or pick up every single leaf that falls from the trees, or for that matter every bit of droppings of the wildlife that call the park home, yet who will deny that a trip through the park is a joy to the heart.

In point of fact, the grass clippings and the falled leaves contribute to our environment as they decompose and give back essencial materials to the soil. Many, myself included do not go out and rake up the clipped grass after mowing the lawn for that very reason. Compost is far better than any man made chemical and environmentally friendly.

jay

During a heavy rain, all of the trash and grass clippings will be washed in the storm sewers and eventually into our streams and rivers.

Glenna

When I cut grass I always manage to keep the grass out of the street. If I do get any grass in the street or on the sidewalk I spend a few more minutes and sweep! I think it is just being lazy blowing all the grass in the street. It does surprise me how many people do this.

Towntalk

I fully agree about the trash being tossed out onto the street, but don't see anything wrong with the grass being blown out onto the street. When the city cuts grass on empty lots and do the strip near the street, both grass and rubish land on the street and nothing is done about it. Now that makes me angry because if a cop saw me toss a bag or bottle on the road, he'd ticket me for littering.

Another thing that chaps my hide no end is the sloppy way that the city cuts the grass. No attempt to make a half way decent job of it, yet they want us to meaure every blade of grass to make sure that they don't exceed a certain height.

jay

Does this bother anyone else?   I can't understand why people like to shoot the grass clippings and trash into the street when they mow the devil strip in front of their homes.