News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

New to the area...Have some questions...

Started by Autumn090101, October 15, 2004, 08:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solomia

I have three daughters and two grandaughters and a grandson due in march2005.  I had one at St Elizabeths, two at Northside in the birthing room.  My two grandaughter were born at Northside in the Birthing room.

My daughter that is due in March will be going to St E'z due to type 1 diabetes, and only St. E'z is able to deal with a high risk diabetic.

How's your health???

Mary_Krupa

Personally, I wionder about the quality of healthcare in this valley. We brag about how healthcare is one of the largest industries here but I see no point to bragging about quantity unless it's combined with quality.

My family has long associations with St. Elizabeth's going back to the 1940s. I also worked there in the 70s. It was a matter of pride when one spoke of St. E's. It sure has gone downhill. In the last five years, in about 5 instances, only one was a good experience and that was when my father was dying. The nightturn staff was excellent. However, in the 4 other instances, it was very terrible, including someone pulling on my mother's leg when she had just had hip surgery. The impersonal attitude of the nursing staff was very evident--whatever happened to TLC? The lack of continuity of care was shocking--so many part-timers with the patient having to constantly reacquaint herself with a new staffer. Having someone sit on a toilet for up to an hour before someone came to take her away, using a broken down wheel chair for 2 weeks in a rehab unit. I mean you can only advocate so much for a cause without getting frustrated with having to beg for everything.

I am ashamed of the quality of care that St. E's offers. In all honesty, I don't feel confident about St. E's.

We went to Northside for an operation a year ago and I was impressed. The care was good, bedside manner good but not excellent.

Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

-

;D   Thanks y'all so much, I really appreciate all your feedback (and any additional anyone might want to add).  I have continued to hear different opinions about both Hospitals.  We visited North Side as well as St. Elizabeth's.  I have to say visually St. E's has North Side beat.  Lol*  But that doesn't say anything for the Doctors...I have to admit I have been spoiled coming from Lake County's health system, my first child was delivered at Lake East Hospital in Painesville, and it's hard to not contstantly compare.  Are there any doctor's in particular anyone can suggest?  My two year old was delivered by Dr. Jones at Lake East, what I loved so much about him was that he was very compassionate, sympathetic, and personable.  I once visited a doctor who was critical of my husband and I and boasted about his wealth during our visits.  Argh.  That was an experience!  So that's the opposite of what we want!  Thanks again for all your input, and any Doctor's you could recommend!  :)

RK

In the last 3.5 years I have had personal experience with both North Side and St. E's.  I have found that the most important differentiation depends on the personal care provider you choose.  When we used St. Elizabeth we had a very strict, none personal Dr who cared more about the process than the persons (mother and baby) and cared little about the mothers needs.  Our second time around we opted for an option we expected would offer us more flexibility, more catering to our own personal needs and instead went with a midwife.  We found that although the mid wife shared more of our personal views when it came to many things, on the elements where our wants deviated from her personal preferences she was every bit an obstacle as the OBGYN.  The main difference was that we agreed with her more.  

We found North side more comfortable and accommodating but I think a lot of that had to do with the care provider (the mid wife).  Many of the things that made the experience more enjoyable for us were things that seemed to be different because of things the mid wife had done.  

Not sure if any of that helps, one thing we discovered which only be rare chance would be an issue is that St. E.s can "produce their own power" while North side can not.  As luck would have it our last was born on May 22, on May 21 most of the area was blacked out including North side! We were in labor most of that night, 5 or 6 hours of which was in the dark as they rationed power to the most critical areas.  Talk about getting back to natural!

Would be glad to elaborate if you have additional questions.  I guess in summary what I am saying is that the Dr you choose is likely more important than the hospital.  I have talked to many folks in the area who have had a bad experience with one hospital or the other, insisting that the other is better, and about equal instances in each direction.  I will say that although we walked away with almost as many gripes about the mid wife as the Dr those of the Dr. were much bigger, I would not likely let this particular Dr cut my grass, but not to worry, due to insurance costs he is no longer delivering any more anyway;)

Welcome to the area!

Deb Congonello

Go to St Elizebeth's, I have three girls , Two deliverd at North Side , it's  bad, it's to lenient,  no rules, no morals.

kitten44505

I can't speak to the maternity ward, but I have had nothing but really great experiences at North Side. The folks there are fabulous, especially in Intensive Care and the Cardiac Department. My father had really great care even though the Doctors and Nurses knew that there was nothing they could do for him; and my Mother had the same great care when she was in for Conjestive Heart Failure. It took four weeks but they pulled her through.

Autumn090101

;D

Hello there, my Husband and I are new to the area, and this looks like it might be a good place to ask a few questions.  For those of you who have been here a while, we're curious about Forum Health System.  Husband and I recently found out we are expecting, and I'm curious if anyone has any information, tips, etc. on doctors and North Side Hospital Maternity Ward in particular.  General outlook and opinions welcomed!  Thank you!