News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Exterminating Geese In Mill Creek Park

Started by jay, June 26, 2014, 11:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

This is good news, because these birds are natures noble creatures and a great asset to our Mill Creek Park experience.

jay

I observed geese feeding at two locations this past week.  The first flock was near Lake Glacier in Mill Creek Park.  The second flock was on Tiffany Drive in Boardman.

The geese were not eating food provided by humans.  In both instances, the geese were eating grass from mowed lawns. 

jay

I saw seven geese in Mill Creek Park today.

They must have done something special to escape execution.

[/b]

Rick Rowlands

Now the park needs to put appropriate signage reading:

"If you feed these Geese we will kill them.  Don't believe us?  We have already done it!"

Peggy Gurney

Ok thinking with my head, tells me that if people would follow the rules and the posted signs and STOP feeding the geese, we wouldn't have this problem and have to do these 'humane' euthanizations.

~ Normal is overrated ~

ytowner

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on June 27, 2014, 12:54:56 AM
A lot of people just don't understand the problem with an overpopulation of Canadian geese. 
Thank You.

People need to think with their head and not their emotions.

AllanY2525

OK...no guns.... use slingshots.

:::::::  JUST kidding. :::::

Peggy Gurney

Quote from: AllanY2525 on June 28, 2014, 04:25:49 AM

They should have shot them, then sold them for food.  At lease something would have come out of it.

They would have had to close the park to do that.  Plus, as someone else mentioned on FB, lol... there would have been people from nearby neighborhoods running out with their own guns thinking there's a gang shootout or something.  lol.

I can see it now...

~ Normal is overrated ~

AllanY2525

They should have shot them, then sold them for food.  At lease something would have come out of it.

Park rangers and fish and wildlife agents must, from time to time, thin out certain animal populations
all over the country.

It's a humane action, meant to ensure that the remaining population have sufficient food, and not
making things tough on other animals in the same habitats - keep the ecological "balance" of things.

Peggy Gurney

I understand that if people would FOLLOW THE RULES and keep their bread and crackers and whatever they feed these animals to themselves, we wouldn't have had an over population in the first place.

Do I feel bad for the geese? Sure I do. The human species is over-populated, maybe we should start gassing them.  ;)
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

238 to be exact. The exact number of geese put to sleep.

Rick Rowlands

A lot of people just don't understand the problem with an overpopulation of Canadian geese. 

jay

Many people are upset with the killing of hundreds of geese in Mill Creek Park today.