News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"The Mahoning River ZIP line"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, January 28, 2014, 06:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

I must feel the vibes, the Mayor wants other projects to go along with the mega buck amphitheatre.  This Zip line can be don with a fraction of the big bucks the City is dreaming about.

Youngstownshrimp

Alan,
It was our company that put that condo project together many moons ago, still too risky.
Rick, That only means we get CSX onboard.........they have money for goodwill too :) .

AllanY2525

Rick Rowlands

Gaining the permission from CSX to span their rail line would be a deal killer.  It sometimes takes years to get their permission to run a power line over their tracks.

AllanY2525

I remember a few years back I read something online about an interested
party that was looking at building condos so some other such residential
dwellings on the south side of the river, looking north.

There are areas on the southern side that could work for a development
like this - I think their timing was just wrong (too soon).  With more and
more residential living space coming to the downtown, I could see a
protect like this becoming feasible in a few years.....provided the
downtown continues to grow and more higher paying jobs come
to town, especially downtown jobs.

Youngstownshrimp

I knew about this parcel (53-46-311.01) 18 years ago, when I was impressed with the stunning view of downtown Youngstown from the south side of the river.  Most of you know this view and this hillside property between Market st. and South ave.  Interesting, when I first discovered this property, the City didn't even know that they owned it since it was conveyed by an old railroad line; I brought this asset to their attention.
Looking north towards the property from Woodland, one will notice a bench of the old railroad bed.  Going east on woodland, the grade will fall so that a quick access to this bench is available.  From there the railroad bed can be a launching point for zip lines that would fly right over both railroads on each side of the Mahoning river, landing on the Covelli center property.
Can you imagine the tremendous attention, this would generate for the Mahoning River group?  Right in the downtown area and on or over the river?  This would bring attention to the plight to recreate on the river, in an innovative out-of-the-box way!  The City owns the property and generates NO taxes, the Mahoning river group can take title as a non-profit.  Insurance can be purchased as well as hold-harmless agreements signed.  Building a zip line can't be more expensive than dredging the river.  Think outside of the box to garner attention to the Mahoning river.  I know, it was our little group that began showing movies on a bridge wall over Yellow creek ten years ago.