News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Union vote at Vallourec

Started by Billy Mumphrey, January 18, 2014, 07:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

That situation up in Warren is a great example of the hypocrisy of unions.  The older workers voted to close the plant down and throw their younger "brothers" under the bus for their own benefit.  All that talk of solidarity and looking out for one another is just BS.  Union "brothers" will turn on their "family" in a heartbeat.  Where is the shared sacrifice for the greater good? Or is that all just sloganeering?

Every major advancement that the labor unions fought for have been codified into law. What the unions do now, aside from pumping money into the Democrat party, is create archaic work rules that make no sense and increase costs for an employer.  Employees now do a multitude of tasks.  The rigid work structures of old just no longer make any sense.

Youngstownshrimp

Very well written Allan, Unions now are the abusers of other workers, as they morphed into protecting the few in that fiefdom.

AllanY2525

Quote from: iwasthere on January 23, 2014, 05:43:16 PM
many of us on this forum benefited from the union influence. watch what you wish for during your lifetime.

It would be interesting to see the number of - and level of - benefits provided by many of the oldest unions
in the area "then" versus "now",  along with a history of the cost of union membership for each.

I'm in my fifties - and for us older people, many of the rights and protections that unions have fought
for in MY lifetme have (as Rick pointed out)  laws and government agencies to advocate for them now.

examples:  Labor relations , Occupational Health and Safety Administration,  Equal Opportunity
Employment,  HEALTHCARE (even though, I.m.h.o. the government is not doing a very good job -
it had to start somewhere and I have no doubt that it will change and evolve over time)

There IS such a thing as "pricing yourself out of a job" .  If a union is asking too much, some businesses
have to cut hours, reduce staff, or consider outsourcing as a cost cutting measure.  I would prefer to
work full time at my current wage, versus having a union negotiate a wage increase that causes any
of the above situations to occur.

Here is a perfect example of a union vote resulting in the closing of a facility in Warren, and the loss
of jobs that resulted from the union's actions.   The company even offered to bring the manufacture
of other products to the factory to keep it open ( incandescent bulbs being obsoleted and such...)

http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/jan/24/lights-out-at-ge-lamp-plant-in-warren/

iwasthere

many of us on this forum benefited from the union influence. watch what you wish for during your lifetime.

Rick Rowlands

The vote failed, and it was not even close! 
367 voted against it, 148 voted for the union.  And this was after a YEAR LONG organizing effort. 
Youngstown is finally shedding its reputation for being a union stronghold!

http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/jan/23/vallourec-workers-reject-unionization-effort/?nw

AllanY2525

Quote from: Billy Mumphrey on January 19, 2014, 04:08:08 PM
Make fun of my views. My dad was a union member and I was proud of what he provided for us.

Billy,  sounds like your father took good care of his family - the question is:  what did his UNION
provide for you that he otherwise would not have had?

As far as union membership versus part time jobs - if I were already working a part time only
job, I would probably not have the money to throw away on union dues.

Irishbobcat

"Unions have been the only powerful and effective voice working people have ever had in this country"-Bruce Springsteen

Don't mess with the boss....

Ron, maybe I'm Norman Bates????????

Youngstownshrimp

Yeah Baby!  You go Bobster, with your blogger bad ass persona, must be venting today all those months you've been absent here, pent up anger, let it rip!
Truth is, Dennis is really a puppy in real life, he just plays an evil communist here.

Irishbobcat

Joly....Kansas City is not Youngstown......Unless you and your family has been here since the turn of the 20th century don't lecture me with your

red state conservative rhetoric......you had no industry out there in the farms fields with Dorothy and Toto.....you are clueless.....

Where is the working middle class family today? It's no more! Because no unions are left to fight! We are now either the 99% or 1%...and from the sounds of your cushy

husband's job at YSU.....you are not in the 99%......

iwasthere

joly your husband lost five grd but you and your children can attend ysu free for a degree, not a bad payoff.

joly1584

When I lived in Kansas City I worked for a non union company.  We got bought out by a union company.  The first thing the new owners did - THEY BROUGHT OUR PAY AND BENEFITS DOWN TO UNION LEVELS!  That's rights a non-union company with better pay and benefits than a union company.

My cousin used to work for a union manufacturing plant.  Took an early retirement buyout.  Went to work across town for the non-union plant for a 25% pay cut.  But he took home more money because he didn't have to pay union dues and he never went on strike.  He also had better benefits at the non-union plant.

Don't tell me people are better off with unions.  The only people helped by unions are their leaders.

Billy Mumphrey

Thanks Mr. Bobcat. You're Batman!

Irishbobcat

Ron, why bash Billy over his dad? If his positive views of unions is based on the fact it allowed for a proper roof over his head, why ridicule him?

The reason unions are still a benefit is because with the decline of unions we have headed back into a world of monopolies....where life for employees is returning

to lower pay, no benefits, no pensions, no nothing. If we had unions in the retail industry anyone would be working on Thanksgiving?

Sorry Joly, but do you really think your husband would have gotten a better package deal without a union? If so, you drink from the same well of mind-bending Kool-Aid as the

rest of the conservatives on this page.....

Rick Rowlands

just remember that the unions were huge donors to the party that brought you that wonderful insurance deal.