News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Lowellville Mahoning River Fish

Started by jay, September 25, 2013, 09:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

Northwoods Baked Northern Pike
2 Northern Pike filets about 3 lbs
4 tablespoons butter melted
Spice Sprinkle Mixture:
(We will only use part of the spice mixture) 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried powdered thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried powdered rosemary
1 teaspoon paprika

Remove skin from the Northern Pike filets and rinse with cold water. Remove the Y bones from the filets and cut the filets into several 4 inch pieces. Dry the filets with paper towels. Coat the bottom of the baking pan with one tablespoon of the butter. Place the filets skin side down in the baking dish. Paint the filets with the melted butter. Mix the spices together in a small bowl. We only use part about 1/3 or 1/2 of the spices to dust the filets, reserve the rest for later use. Sprinkle some of the spices on top of the filets. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until the filets flake. Serves four.

Parmesan Baked Northern Pike
2 Northern Pike fillet about 3 lbs
1 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup flour
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter

Mix the parmesan cheese, flour, seasoned salt, pepper, paprika in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl mix the beaten egg and milk well. Remove skin from the Northern Pike filets and rinse with cold water. Remove the Y bones from the filets. Cut the Northern Pike filets into serving size pieces. Dip the Northern Pike in the egg mixture, then dip in the dry ingredients to coat. Place the fillets in a greased 9x13 baking dish. Saute the garlic in the butter to flavor the butter. Drizzle the garlic butter over the Northern Pike. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until the Northern Pike flakes easily. Serves four.

jay

This Pike was caught in the Mahoning River by the Ohio EPA sampling team.

sfc_oliver

Don't get me wrong now, I know what they look like and have a great spot for them out at lake Berlin. But I've never caught one in the Mahoning...

Towntalk

Cajun Crappie Cuisine

• At least 1 Lb of fresh Crappie, cleaned, boned, and fileted
    1/4 c. Vitamin D whole milk
    1/2 c. unbleached flour (pancake mix will work just as well, folks)
    1 large  egg
    1 c. corn meal
    1 tablespoon Cajun spice
    1/2 teaspoon iodized table salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper

In one bowl, combine the flour, milk, and egg. We'll call this bowl #1
In another small bowl, combine cornmeal, Cajun spice, salt, and pepper.  This will be bowl #2.

Wet the fillets entirely in bowl #1. Cover them with the contents of bowl #2.

Add the breaded filets to a hot pan (or skillet) coated with cooking oil (preferably virgin olive oil).
Cook till both sides are a nice looking golden brown color.
For a little more of the HOT!, serve with Tabasco sauce.
For a righteous southern style Cajun meal, put some cornbread or homemade biscuits on the table right next to the steamed okra.

jay

Towntalk

I wonder if certain WS bluebloods would even consider eating any of these type of fish?

sfc_oliver

Hmmm?

I'd like to know where those Crappie are hiding... those i haven't seen......

Towntalk

Good eating fish on the list:
Small Mouth Bass
White Shad
Walleye
Crappy
Yellow Perch
Bluegill
Rock Bass

sfc_oliver

First and foremost i hope they don't tell too many people. The fishing in the river out here is one of our best kept secrets.....

As far as eating the fish, last report I read said they were safe to eat with the exception of catfish over 21 inches...

No I will not share my favorite fishing spots with anyone. Besides the fishing spots will change when they take out the damns...currents will soon be different... I hope it doesn't ruin the fishing, though I'm sure it will interupt it for a few months...

AllanY2525

Did they find any fish with three heads?

Just kidding........

:)

jay

QuoteWhat is the health of the fish?

Catfish are bottom feeders.  The catfish had deformed whiskers.

Some of the fish had tissue samples taken for later testing.

Towntalk

Big question: What is the health of the fish? Can they be eaten?

jay

Today I went on a field trip to observe an Ohio EPA aquatic survey of the Mahoning River just east of Lowellville.  I'm sorry that I did not bring my camera.  The EPA team caught dozens of fish.  Some of these were Hog Suckers, Small Mouth Bass, Large Mouth Bass, Pike, White Shad, Silver Red Horse Suckers, Walleye, River Chub, Crappie, Channel Catfish, Yellow Perch, Bluegill, Flathead Catfish, Rock Bass, Carp. and  Pumpkin Seed Sunfish.

I'm trying to have someone from the trip send me some of the pictures they took.