News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Methane in PA Water Wells Tied To Fracking

Started by irishbobcat, October 04, 2012, 10:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Dimock was the site of a much publicized incident of water contamination from hydraulic fracturing, a process used to extract natural gas from the Marcellus Formation. In May 2012, after the installation of water treatment systems in affected homes, methane and arsenic were found only in small amounts at one home. At that time the EPA reported that their most recent "set of sampling did not show levels of contaminants that would give EPA reason to take further action." As of 2012 natural gas companies have been permitted to resume hydraulic fracturing in the area. The EPA and various universities continue to monitor water quality.

Water safe in town made famous by fracking-EPA  

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/05/11/usa-fracking-dimock-idUKL1E8GBVGN20120511   

By the way, deep coal mining also releases methane gas, and in my home town there are a number of deep shaft mines, yet even though these mines are old, and sealed, the water builds up in the shafts and some of the seals break open causing the water to be released into the river causing floods in low laying areas, yet I've never heard of a single mine explosion caused by the methane gas, and the water quality is quite good. The name of the river by the way is the West Branch of the Susquehanna River, one of the larger river systems in Pennsylvania.

sfc_oliver

One can only wonder if this is anything like the guy who could set his water on fire and blamed fracking, only to be discovered that he could do so before the fracking..

Just thinking out loud............
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>