News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Last Shoe Repair Shop Moves Out Of City

Started by jay, August 16, 2012, 04:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

Quote from: jay on August 17, 2012, 05:57:13 AM
Nothing!
a sad day on the ws. roseanne lewis and other past ws residents are rolling in their graves as we blog.

Youngstownshrimp

Yes, we all have come to this conclusion after years of decrying the injustice.  Rick is on point, just recently we see all the community organizing occult lead by their pied piper screaming about the Peck house being demo'd.  This is the same old song here....sadly we all cry and pound the table and yet nothing changes for the leftovers of the brain drain.  We have no resources to combat the entrenched corrupt municipality of YTown as it continues to spiral down the sewer.  Thank God, I have the resources to vacate this Sh%#&hole that is Youngstown, and to be with people who actually can effect a change.
Your only hope, is to DEFUND YOUNGSTOWN and the energy companies can rebuild it, there is no other way.

Rick Rowlands

Why should they do anything?  Its not as if they are in any danger of losing their jobs.

jay

Quotewhat is your ws council rep trying to do to stop the flight of businesses to the subs?

Nothing!

iwasthere

tt our leaders  on all levels with the help of its citizens have a  responsbility to improve or maintain a safe and productivity of its commerce in their cmmunities to allow everyone to make a living through exchanging of good and services.

Towntalk

What can any council person do to stop private businesses from moving?

A business decision was made. If his income does not come out higher than his expenses so that he can stay in the black, that's his right to relocate to an area where there is more trade traffic and a better chance of making a buck to feed his family.

As it is shoe repairing is a dying business, and no one wants to take up the trade or there would be more than two shoe repair shops in the area.

iwasthere

what is your ws council rep trying to do to stop the flight of businesses to the subs?

Towntalk

Jay: For what it's worth some of the best years of my life were when I lived on the West Side and went to Chaney, and had a job at the old Mahoning Theater, so it's sad to see so many businesses leaving that side of town, but that said, there's nothing so special about that side of town that isn't affecting other sides of town. I now live on the North Side, and it is nothing like it was when Mother and I moved to Youngstown in 1950, yet thanks in no small part to YSU, the Butler Institute of American Art; the Mahoning Valley Historical Society; the Steel Museum; the main branch of the Public Library; Wick Park; Crandall Park; and Stambaugh Auditorium; along with several upscale historical residential neighborhoods; Union Square Plaza; and two major hospital campuses, it remains the premier side of town.

jay

For what it's worth, I still buy American Made shoes.

In addition to shoes, I've gone to this shop many times to repair luggage and resew leather goods.

jay

Mahoning Avenue is beginning to look more and more like South Avenue.

:'(

Towntalk

Apparently the business he gets can not sustain the cost of doing business on the west side any longer, and given the fact that most shoes today are made on the cheap (I can get 2 pairs of shoes for $40.00) and not worth getting repaired, fewer folks are getting their shoes repaired.

jay

This is another sad day for the residents of Youngstown.  The city's last shoe repair shop has moved to the suburbs.  This shoe repair shop had been located on Mahoning Avenue for over a half century.