News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

City Council Insults The Voters Of Youngstown

Started by jay, July 25, 2012, 05:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

Reminds us of Youngstown
Meetings on Sundays....meetings at 1:00 p.m....meetings at 4:30 p.m....meetings not listed in the newspaper....meeting agendas not published in advance....

Mary_Krupa

Does anyone have insight on the following?

1. That Youngstown's police chief used to be elected.

2. That there is an alternate route to changing the charter and that would be initiative changes--you would need to find the original ordinance that first created, for example, the president of council position. Then you would only need 538 signatures (currently) to vote it down.
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

Towntalk

Obviously you were listening to Dan Ryan, and certainly he did all that he could to educate the voters on the charter amendments. It must be remembered that Google News does not have every single page of the papers, and in point of fact, not even all the issues of the papers, so it's difficult to compare the 1986 election with the way the city is dealing with the new charter amendments, but at least we know that Council and Ungaro didn't think the voters were not able to walk and chew gum at one in the same time.

As I've said over and over again, this city council has a very serious conflict of interest that calls for a probe by the Attorney Generals office.

iwasthere

towntalk i remember the charter review committee members going on the the several talk shows to educate the city residents. the lwv did host a nite to discuss the adm in 1986. i was a new resident at that time but i did take out time to learn about the adm through reading vindy articles and listening to talk radio. one does these things when one is a former boy state rep.

Towntalk

Jay, I did a quick search through the Vindicator for several days leading up to the 11/4/1986 general election and could find no ads for the charter amendments which is strange ... how were Youngstown voters educated on the 16 amendments? No doubt there were mailers, and since I was looking only for ads, I might have overlooked articles. It's quite possable that most voters just voted YES or NO simply based on the wording.

On one of the amendments that failed, Ungaro admitted that they did a poor job educating the voters.

Towntalk

As was pointed out in another thread, the 1986 City Council saw nothing wrong with having 16 charter amendments on the ballot, and for those who may have forgotten, Pat Ungaro was mayor.

Jay is absolutely right ... council is slapping the charter commission in the face, and insulting the voters of Youngstown, and this should not be tolerated for a single second.

There clearly is a serious conflict of interest on the part of council that borders on corruption since some of the new charter amendments directly affect them.

iwasthere

ron and dt this is another topic that is not assoc with the current tread. the tread is about the 17 recommendations that are not going to be put on the ballot. fellow bloggers dt and ron what are your thoughts on jay's observation.

Youngstownshrimp

Towntalk,
You are right, their are many who are on assistance and should be, it is the abled body ones that I decry who can produce but it is easier to sit idle.

Youngstownshrimp

No, the MVOC organized the voting block to keep them in power.  All who complain and see the truth are a fraction of the populace and is no match for the dependent class voters.  Every ward is stacked with the dependent class and they are being paid for their votes by way of welfare subsidies, everything you need to exist without work.

jay

In 1986, Youngstown City Council put 16 charter changes on the November ballot.

In 2012, the current city council feels that 17 charter issues are too many for the voters to handle.  This city council must think the voters of Youngstown are stupid.