News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

What Is Your Impression Of The Bottom Dollar Stores?

Started by jay, February 14, 2012, 11:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

Why is it so many today want to play Robin Hood?

Do these people realize they are being played like an old fiddle?

Do they understand that 7 of the 10 richest people in Congress are Democrats?

Do they even care?

A Job is a Job and today that's a good thing. According to what I heard those picketers are hired by a Union but they are not Union members.. Minimum wage sign holders.....
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

As a shopper, to be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less whether a store is union or non-union period. I shop where the store meets the following standards:

1. The store personal are curtious and helpful, knowing where their stock is, and in the case of the Meat, Bakery and Deli can cheerfully give me advice.
2. The store is clean.
3. A wide variety of goods.
4. A goodly number of specials.
5. I get the biggest bang for my money.

I've shopped at the Belmont Giant Eagle for almost 30 years, and must say that they exceed the four things I look for, and quite francly enjoy shopping there.

When Sparkles was in the Union Square Plaza, I also enjoyed my shopping experience there as well

The secret I've found is how you treat store personal that really counts. You treat them the way you want others to treat you and they get to know you and will go that extra mile for you.

As far as Save-A-Lot is concerned, they fail in one respect and that is in the quality of their canned goods. I'm not keen on off brand goods, but their meat is exceptional. They do have a nice line of specials though - 10 for $10.00 and I do take advantage of that.

Since I shop for a month I hit both stores in that one trip, and for the rest of the month trade at the little store across the street from me for basic staples such as bread and milk and a few things from their deli.

Why?Town

Back in the late 80s or early 90s I knew a guy that worked in the non-union Giant Eagle on Belmont right out of high school. He got to know the pro union picketers pretty well as they were actually allowed to stand by the front doors at the time. He eventually decided that he didn't feel right about crossing the "picket line" and got a job at a union grocery store  in  the area (Value King on  Logan maybe?) He ended up making the same money with similar benefits but had to pay union dues thus reducing his take home pay.

I'd be surprised if anything  has changed much.

Towntalk

In comparing their weekly ad with the ads for Save-A-Lot they seem to be equal price wise BUT Save-A-Lot has a real meat deal select 5 packages for $20.00 and their meat is on the par with Giant Eagle in quality. Since there is only myself to feed that meat deal can carry me through the month. I love cheese but whether it's Save-A-Lot or Bottom Dollar I'll still opt for Giant Eagle. Last month I wanted a special cheese - aged Swiss Cheese and most of the Swiss Cheese I saw was Baby Swiss so I asked the lady in the deli and she took me over to the cheese department and picked a chunk out for me and it was exactly what I wanted. Aged Swiss has a wonderful nutty flavor that you don't get with Baby Swiss.

irishbobcat

Pro union people do not advocate store closings. Pro union people like the UFCW advocate improving benefits to working people.

Big Business could afford to pay union wages at these Youngstown stores if they paid less to their CEO's in the way of salaries,
perks, etc.

Rick Rowlands

What, no comment about the UFCW "store closing team" standing outside of these stores with signs?   Do the pro union people on this forum advocate Youngstown once again reclaiming its food desert status?

How is a store that serves a market made up primarily of people on government assistance possibly going to make enough profit to pay union scale?

jay

The Bottom Dollar Stores have been open for about a week now.

What is your impression of the Bottom Dollar Stores in Youngstown?