News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Seismograph recording of today's Youngstown earthquake

Started by irishbobcat, December 31, 2011, 11:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

I would hope most of us can tell real science from science fiction.

I would love to have some real experts come in. Because there is enough circumstance to warrant a closer look.

Yet at the same time,  this has not happened before as far as I can tell. Or has there been other instances?

We need to watch and see who they have doing the testing and what their qualifications are. I've already determined that one local seismologist is rather biased in his assumptions.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

Sarge, what is science fact and science fiction, true science and pseudo science? Daily we are inundated with programs that pass for true science on the History Channel and H2 Channel, and if we were to take them seriously we might just put a gun to our heads and blow our brains out and be done with it because they are preaching that the world will end December 21, 2012 (this December).

At the same time these same experts tell us that our progenitors were aliens from outer space who taught us all we know and that God was really a spaceman from another planet.

If a college or university professor were to pass off the garbage that passes for science on the History Channel as absolute fact, or even a viable theory, he would be fired.

As to the earthquakes a reasonable question can be raised. Prior to that company injecting the fluids, there were no known earthquakes in that area, yet after they came we've experienced 11 in one year.

The unfortunate thing is that that particular fault line was an unknown, and neither state or federal law require a seismic examination prior to drilling.

We've always known that Mahoning County lies on a fault line but this particular fault was an unknown, and as the New York Times pointed out the injection of the fraking fluid acts like a lubrication making fault movements more noticeable.

It's too bad that scientists from California who really are experts on earthquakes haven't been brought in to either confirm or debunk the idea that the wells are responsible.

Why?Town

I was pretty skeptical at first but there does seem to be more than just a huge coincidence happening around the well.

But I have to wonder if we are really causing the quakes or are just prodding along something that would be happening eventually anyway.

And if so, maybe we are inadvertantly actually helping matters by causing some small earthquakes to stem off something huge. Like when they cause small avalanches in the mountains to avoid "the big one".

sfc_oliver

Sorry Towntalk but I do not see where it has been confirmed.

It is possible, but I still see a lot of people who are still guessing...........

A list of comments from various sources.

"The injection well is suspected...."

"that it may have caused"

"Officials believe"

"Scientists are looking into....."

So it is still questionable. I still find it hard to believe that we can effect mother earth. But I will wait for the scientists to actually say it. And of course I hope they find out that it has nothing to do with the well.. But I will wait and see.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

Dennis, the case you were making was confirmed Saturday.

Ohio bans injection wells within 5 miles of the D&L site in Youngstown

http://www.vindy.com/news/2012/jan/01/ohio-bans-injection-wells-near-dl-site-youngstown/

irishbobcat

You can check out a recording of today's earthquake at this site....

watch the scale start jumping at the 15:00 hour line.....yikes!

http://www.mgs.md.gov/seismics/helicorder.php?channel=Z&scope=H&submit=view&d=31&m=12&m=12&y=2011