News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"The Eastside's Wilderness Trail"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, April 09, 2014, 08:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

Rick, I'm studying the acreage again. Actually this land can even get bigger for the the community.

Towntalk

For those who may have missed it, here's a good on topic article about hiking in Lincoln Park.
http://www.vindy.com/news/2013/sep/09/hike-to-lead-from-lincoln-park-to-mckelv/

Rick Rowlands

I think its time for a bit of a hike out that way to survey this trail ROW

Youngstownshrimp

I just had a brainwind  :) north of Lincoln park is a stone bridge over dry run, that fell apart.  I would love to rebuild it.  RICK!  let's look at it for a fundraiser for this trail?

Towntalk

Besides Council Rock, there are at least two other historic landmarks in Lincoln Park ... an old mill trace that dates back to the earliest pioneer days; and a trapper's cabin that dates back to the mid 1700's before Young and his party came here

Youngstownshrimp

TT, Truth be told, it was D'Avignon's vision years ago about amassing large tracks of acreage for green space on the eastside, at the Lincoln park, McKelvey lake corridor.  I remember, when we started investing in land there, D'Avignon pulled off having the owner of Marion's auto donate 26 acres above Lincoln park to the City for back taxes.  Then D'Avignon was able to secure State money and buy over 100 acres next to the Ohio Edison acreage.
Of course I am always critical of PORK, but as long as it is utilized for a productive project, I am in.  This acreage assembly can be expedited quicker, as the private sector when needed is brought into the fold.  Actually, what caused my and many other's problems with the City is when during the Williams admin. there was a massive push back as I seen it, against those of us small capitalist.  I tried to join the YTOWN 2010 movement, and I wrote here of my history with the City, as I jumped in to show outdoor movies and perform urban aquaculture and logging.  I could not believe the push back I got.  Phil Kidd summed it up the best awhile back, "we like the project of growing shrimp, we just don't want you doing it."
Remember, back then all of the Hipsters felt they the newer generation and only those invited in to community organize were to make the CHANGE.  No, now it is a new story, we all need to pull together just like Cheryl Sandberg a DEMOCRAT says as the COO of Facebook.  Form groups like we are doing here online and take it to the production level....together.
BTW, sweet results of this story, Phil Kidd is now a Capitalist  ;D .

AllanY2525

I read the story regarding the history of the Council Rock over there... 

Fascinating!!

:)

Towntalk

When my family moved over to the East Side, I had the opportunity to explore Lincoln Park, and was suprised at just how big it was, this was way back in the early 1960's, but then again, during my high school days in the summer, I use to explore Mill Creek Park, but those days are long gone for me, but I do hop that something like Ron invisions can happen with Lincoln Park because it does have quite a history that is worth preserving and developing upon.

AllanY2525

Towntalk,  I hope you are feeling better soon - and that you live to be a hundred.  We need your razor
sharp wits, highly intelligent commentary and the vast wealth of Youngstown history you have
accumulated.

:))

Towntalk

WONDERFUL MY FRIEND ... GREAT NEWS! I only wish that my health would allow me to be more active, but as I near the big day when I can put 75 on the age line in that huge book of universal trivia reminds me that I'm a mere shadow of my former self, and no amount of wishful thinking will change that one iota.

Youngstownshrimp

Rick,
As with you, the years of me standing on and shouting from the soapbox, has been for one reason alone; for a better tomorrow in Youngstown, Ohio.  Yes, I have been negative about anyone of leadership in the Mahoning county, that I and others found to be going down the wrong path.  This is not to say that I am perfect and that I will burn bridges.  If for any reason I see real change for the good of the community, my first reaction is to extend a hand.  What is and must be above all of us and our rhetoric, is to make Youngstown, a better place than when we found it.
That being said, you will notice that I have ceased all bashing of the Mahoning County Landbank, because I sat down with them after so many years and currently, we seem to be working together for a change, the private and public sector discovering our common ground.  Is everything perfect today, not at all.  With this new admin. in Youngstown, there seems to be a genuine focus for production.  My outcry against D'Avignon, was more or less a cry again that the public and private sector's joint efforts are needed to better ourselves and the community.  D'Avignon and I long ago did work with each other, the Williams admin. was where things went wrong, which was sad.  If we continue to work together, look out, this town will bust loose!

Rick Rowlands

I'm surprised that D'Avignon would meet with you after the berating you have been giving him lately!

Youngstownshrimp

Yesterday morning I was in a Planning department meeting and part of the discussion was about City owned land from Lincoln Park all the way to land around McKelvey lake.  Bill D'Avignon, reminded me of the old City plan to create this impressive hiking trail from Lincoln park following "Dry Run" (creek) meandering up to McKelvey lake. 
Folks, this trail would cover hundreds of acres if not over a 1000 easy.  Fifteen years ago, I hiked thru these woods, not just once, but many times, as I visited land we own and manage.  The terrain is a challenge and will most likely be one of the major hiking trails in Ohio.  The fauna has been one of the best kept secrets for years, the forest is loaded with wild turkey and trophy deer.
So people, it is time to get to work now and support this project, I hope this does not become another Bike trail, or River trail hallucination.  If anyone here is interested in forming a group on this project, speak up.  My company will be working on securing 12 acres for this trail, so by default, I am in.  This project is pretty much secured in the land department, it only needs: "if you build it they will come," Field of Dreams.