News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

H.W. Wick Mansion - where was it?

Started by AllanY2525, May 16, 2010, 06:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bilbo

Hello,
I'm a bit late but this H.K Wick Mansion was originally on Logan Ave. Just north of Ravine Drive and across the street from the Youngstown Country Club. (not the Mahoning country club up in Girard) The estate was sold off in sections by the Ursuline mother house for private homes and you can see this by checking the age of the houses on the streets of Virginia Trail, Wildfern, Redfern and Academy Drive. FOr example, the Academy houses are generally built around 1952-56. The Stonington  houses are about 1968-70's So, the last part of the estate to be sold off was the mansion which was in the area of Stonington. I live in the area and I believe that the circular streets have no relation to the original drive. There are some older tall sycamore trees that I think would have lined the drive from Logan, along the north side of the creek that makes up the ravine behind the homes on Wildfern. This line of older sycamores which I think would have been popular shade trees planted back around 1915 cross over Redfern and head up in the wooded lot along the north side of Stonington towards where the mansion would have been. There is very little remaining that can be seen but I believe that a few retaining walls may have been made from some of the stone blocks.
I hope that this helps someone.
~bilbo

AllanY2525

Another set of photos from Vindy archives...

AllanY2525

From the Vindy archives...

Towntalk

rosapepe

Here is the Sally Wick house designed by my father and build in the 1950s further South on the East side of Logan Way or on Logan Ave.

Joel D'Orazio

rosapepe

Here is a larger map of the Wick Mansion location.

Joel D'Orazio

rosapepe

I am attaching a map showing where the Wick Mansion was until it was torn down in the early 60s.  The mansion was the Motherhouse for the Ursuline Nuns after the Wicks moved out.  My father P. Arthur D'Orazio designed the new Motherhouse which was built in Canfield in 1963.  My brother Jon and I were architectural students then and the summer before it was built we build the architectural model of the motherhouse.  The Wick Mansion was for sale for $75,000. and my father was thinking of buying it for our home and his architectural office but decided it would be too costly to maintain.  Items from the house and interior fixtures were sold before the demolition.  The location was across Logan Way from the Youngstown Country Club in Liberty Township.  My father also designed the house for one of the Wick daughters and her family on Logan Way south of this location.  See photos of that also.  I'm including a map of this location and the rear view of the mansion and Sally Wick's built in the 50s.  I will only attach one image at this time because of size limitations. Due to the size limits for photos, I'm not sure if the map will be legible.  I can email it to some one if they like.

atek101

I would check with the Mahoning Valley Historical Society http://www.mahoninghistory.org/ because I know that I have seen that picture before. Their archives on the historic mansions of Youngstown are extensive.

Towntalk

Allan:

Did you try the Public Library to get the address? I'm absolutely certain that they could get it for you.

If you eMail them at Ask The Librarian, they can eMail the information to you.

Towntalk

Chauncy Andrews did indeed build his own home at the location where Ursuline High is now. Andrews was one of the wealthiest men in Ohio, and didn't need anyones leavings, and what a mansion it was.

AllanY2525

I've been putting together a new section on the website that uses
clickable map sections as a sort of Historic Tour of Wick Avenue.

I have several old photos of the H.K. Wick mansion, but I have
no idea where exactly it was located...there were so many Wick
residences on Wick avenue, it's confusing at times when doing
research into them.

Someone said the Andrews' lived in what was formerly a
Wick residence... but I always thought Chauncey Andrews
had is own residence built on Wick Avenue, where the
present day Ursuline school is.

Also, there was a Wick mansion somewhere on Logan, across
from the country club, according to some documents I read
online at Digital Maag, YSU but I have not been able to locate
a photo of it.