News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Problem On West Federal Street

Started by jay, April 02, 2010, 04:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynds

I'll try Jay, but... I found out a long time ago that you cant make everyone happy.

jay

Thank you Lynds.  I'm sure your solution will make everyone happy.

Lynds

just spoke to her, she was actually unaware that she was in front of a pizza shop, she said it all happened so quickly and escalated with in minute. she is coming in to see me Wednesday morning and i agreed to map out locations for her that will not directly interfere with the permanent Downtown establishments.

Lynds

Jay, I am not sure if there are specification, if any, regarding how far from a business these vendors are able to set up. I do know this women however and she was involved in several Downtown Events last year, when she approached me last year about setting up downtown it was under agreement that she will not be set up near any business, the places we discussed where: across from the county Courthouse, near the old State Theater, by MYCAP , and the corner of East Federal and Market.. She does have a self sustained wagon...but from what i gathered on Friday her vending permit was  out dated.
***I have a call out to her to see what on earth happend, i will post you on what i hear.

jay

Irishbobcat has identified one aspect of this problem.  There are some male street characters downtown whose behavior scares people especially women.  I have personally witnessed women cross the street to avoid contact with these guys.

Let's see where the street vendor is located next week.  I'm pretty sure that Cafe Cimento, the Rosetta Stone, or any other downtown restaurant would object to this vendor setting up in front of their doorway.

irishbobcat

The problem is the men in the picture basically "Loiter" all day downtown, screaming, talking loud, and cause folks to walk to the other side of the street for their own safety. One of the men is a problem "pan handler". Having spent time downtown, I see these same men on a weekly basis harassing regular citizens....so I can see how their congregating outside a business could cause people to avoid the pizza shop. that's the problem.

Youngstownshrimp

As a long time businessman, what this vendor is doing is good for every business.  It has been proven over and over again, that high tide floats all boats.  If the street vendor has a permit, he is fine.  Notice how everyone is giving that location attention.  You don't fight innovation, you embrace it!  Why do you think food courts work, when they are all side by side?  Typical YTown, we are so behind, we fight innovation.

ytowner

There is a guy with a similar setup on YSU and I can assure you with those wheels on the cart, that the thing is mobile. I am all for competition, but he should probably move a little bit further down the road. However pizza and hot dogs are not the same thing.

jay

The street vendor is not using a mobile push cart.  The equipment actually looks like a small trailer.

Towntalk

john r. swierz

I am home sick with a cold. I did not learn about this until after city hall closed.

Towntalk

Do they have a venders license? If you will recall they had this problem a number of years ago when a lady set up shop downtown.

Where is Councilman John when you need him?

jay

If I owned any business in downtown Youngstown, I wouldn't want a vendor setting up in front of my building.

City council should get control of this situation ASAP.

irishbobcat

why couldn't he set up across the street in front of the Federal Building, or in front of Downtown 36.....their not open during the day....???

jay

On Friday, April 2, a street food vendor set up shop on the sidewalk of West Federal Street but very close to the front door of an existing pizza restaurant.  Tensions increased throughout the morning, and the police had to respond at one point.

What are the existing regulations regarding the location of street food vendors?