News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Downtown Demolitions

Started by Elmo-Ytown, December 01, 2009, 02:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penguins37

Lol did you see that vernal was paving the wrta's new parking lot addition as the rain was pouring down and laying on top of the asphalt base?!?  That should last a good 30 days if they are lucky. Lol

iwasthere

ytown shrimp i would help but a personal matter has come up that will not allow me to parttake in ytown matters for awhile when this situation is resolved i will be out there once again swinging the  pro ytown bat.

Towntalk

Judging from tonights weather forcast, its going to be quite a while before they can put down the asphalt.

http://www.myvalleyweather.com/default.aspx

Penguins37

Just a little update for anyone who hasn't been downtown lately.  ProQuality has all of the structure demolition completed now and only has to fill and grade the area before they can get asphalt down. 

Youngstownshrimp

"Attention  ,  Attention!!!!"

Temple Nevel on Elm street is to begin the DECONSTRUCTION of 1000 Bryson and 139 Park, both buildings are surrounding Wick Park.  The good congregation of Temple Nevel will provide volunteers for this green project.  The sandstone foundation, the various lumber, fixtures and hardware will be recycled.

Temple Nevel invites all volunteers from the neighborhood and those interested in the recycled materials to make this project cost effective.

Please contact Ron or Rick to join the Doer's Club, 330 788 8009

* Members of the old "Do Nothing Party" need not waste productive hours.

Penguins37

Wow, ProQuality is really flying through the demolition and probably already has about 70% of the demo done.  They may actually have a chance to get it paved before the snow flies. 

AllanY2525

I agree when it comes to saving historic buildings, provided there is a use - a purpose
for them after saving them.  While I'm not a fan of parking lots, the fact that they
are building them downtown signals that there is a need for them - which means that
business downtown must be picking up.

Some day, Youngstown will reach a state of "equilibrium", meaning that the number of
houses and buildings will reach a par with the number of people that are in the city, using
them - plus however many people commute to and from downtown each day.

Once the city has reached this stage, then she will be ready to grow again, ie: more
buildings - a parking lot can always be removed if and when another building comes
along to take its place....

Although there are many buildings now long gone downtown, it is looking better than
it has in many years and I am all for that.  If the city is going to make a recovery, then
the downtown must be a part of it.

Towntalk

Does anyone recall when folks were bemoaning the fact that whenever the television networks came to town they picked the most dilapidated locations downtown to report from?

We can't have our cake and eat it to so to speak.

In these bad economic times we can't expect folks to roll into town and build brand new buildings to replace the ones that are too far gone to renovate.

There were a number of perfectly fine buildings on the East End that I would have liked to have seen saved but wiser heads prevailed and look at what we have today there.

Take for example the historic Park Theater, it had tons of history behind it dating back to 1907 when it first opened its doors.

Many of America's greatest actors and actresses appeared on its stage and it was also the site of many historic political debates over the years when Presidential candidates came to town.

It was also the home of culture long before the Stambaugh Auditorium was built with Grand Opera companies, ballet companies and symphony orchestras as far away as Philadelphia appearing there.

Today what is there? A parking deck.

jay

I agree with Westside.  Downtown Youngstown is losing its urban fabric.  What we are ending up with is remaining buildings being surrounded by parking lots.

Example
The Mahoning Valley Historical Society Building (former Burt Building) is the only building on the block and has parking lots on three sides.

northside lurker

These buildings weren't worth fighting for.  But, most of you are missing the bigger picture.  Downtown is losing its urban fabric one building at a time.  Pretty soon, downtown will be gone, and we'll just have one giant office park.

Even the owner of these buildings was quoted as saying that there isn't a need for more parking downtown.  He just doesn't have any other ideas about what to do with them.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

iwasthere

what defeatest comments i am reading.

Towntalk

They weren't, nor will they be missed.

Rick Rowlands

The fact that I have never noticed these buildings before tell me that they are not notice-worthy.   

kenneyjoe330

I could not agree with you more Penguins37 - some buildings are worth fighting for and some are not - those three were in the latter category by a long shot - unless something truly significant happend in them that changed our history.  I am not opposed to parking lots downtown at all - IF they don't distroy GOOD buildings to make them - now - after having said that - I would HOPE that "the city" has some sort of provision that some trees or shrubs or "greenery" be part of the parking lot complex.  Cultivated Green is ALWAY good - for health, both mental AND physical AND for the eye to behold AND to remind us of plain old "Creation" which is beyond our own ! ! !   How does that poem go "I think that I shall never see a poem as lovely as a tree . . . .  "    :-*
Amens Anyone?

Penguins37

I don't know.  The buildings were so small and in such poor condition that it is difficult to imagine someone redeveloping these structures.  However, by demolishing the buildings now and paving them we are creating areas that are free from blight and broken windows.  Then in the future these sights are ripe for new construction if the market dictates enough demand for remodeled/new space downtown.