News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Downtown Holiday Parade Saturday December 5th 3pm w/ Tree Lighting

Started by Lynds, November 19, 2009, 03:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

i agree with all the postings concerning the parade. me and my frds went to the lemon grove for hot choclate and dinner. some of us even help jacob decorate the xmas tree for his place a wonderful new tradition in my many holiday's celebrations.

jay

These two important guests arrived on a YFD firetruck.

irishbobcat

The Mahoning Valley Greens were represented by marching with the Ohio Span banner, and 7th ward Coalition banner....

Mary_Krupa

This was really a great parade. The children were very excited and into the parade. The adults were happy, too, wishing everybody Merry Christmas and singing along to carols. Madonna Chisholm (not sure of her name) was a great announcer--nice voice.

Santa and Mrs. Claus looked very authentic and wound up the parade.

I predict this parade will double itself next year--participants and spectators. It reminded me of going to parades in downtown Youngstown in the sixties when you still had the butcher shops on East Federal Street with the chickens hanging in the windows.

Where were Mooney and Ursuline?  This would have been a perfect opportunity to so celebrate their victories.
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

northside lurker

Quote from: jay on December 05, 2009, 05:41:17 PM
Great Parade!

I hope we have more parades throuthout the year.

I agree!  But, I've been home for almost an hour now, with the thermostat set to 80, and I"m still cold. (but I was outside for most of the day, not just the parade)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

Great Parade!

I hope we have more parades throughout the year.

Elmo-Ytown

I missed the picture in the Vindicator, can someone scan it and post on here?

jay

There are now over 40 units in the parade. 
Enter your organization by December 1.

iwasthere

jrs will other council and admistratives dept heads will parttake in this parade?

sfc_oliver

Quote from: john r. swierz on November 20, 2009, 04:44:50 PM

Sarge , Do you think that you could get some veterans to march in the parade? Call me at 330 7885114

John, I have contacted 2 American Legion Posts in Youngstown and left you number with their Officers. Hopefully they have the Membership to participate,
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

iwasthere

a parade always brings out the best in our valley. i remember when they had the first st Pat's day parade in ytown downtown. towntalk,  i also have fond memories with my mom. i met my mom downtown after work to watch the the first st Pat's parade with her then we had dinner after that it was tradition with her and me until her passing on in her life. mom died a week before st pat day in '96 and we had hard time in booking a bagpiper and other items that went with a traditional Irish wake. memories will live on even when the parades passes you by. :)

Lynds

Quote from: jay on November 21, 2009, 11:22:48 AM
This would be a good opportunity for attendees to visit our downtown restaurants after the parade.

Which restaurants will be open on Saturday afternoon?

Buffalo Wild Wings
Cafe Cimmento
Barleys
Rosetta Stone
Draught House
The Lemon Grove (4pm)

jay

Is there still a "Keep Christ In Christmas" movement in the area?  They should definitely be asked to be in the parade.

Towntalk

That picture brought back a flood of good memories of when I would meet Mother downtown on Saturdays and we would have lunch at Hollanders and take in a movie.

She worked for Daugherty Davis and just worked a half day on Saturdays.

When I started working downtown many of the stores were still there and it was a wonderland at Christmas time.

Does anyone remember when the various local church choirs use to sing Christmas carols on the Square in front of the manger scene? And the Salvation Army band played in front of the Wick building?

When walking into Strauss you were knocked over by the smells of expensive perfumes and they had the most beautiful window displays, and we all waited for the day the curtan went up on one of the windows and when they were finished re decorating, people would gather around to watch them open the window back up and had a gorgeous Christmas scene complete with the manger scene.

Everyone thought it was wonderful that a big department store would devote one of their main windows to a religious theme display.

McKelvey's only had an absolutely awful Santa scene and businesses around McKelvey's use to complain about that awful racket of Santa laughing that came out of a portable PA speaker set up over the window.

To be perfectly honest, I'd give anything to see some of the old holiday trimmings brought back, even the McKelvey's Santa, but unfortunately there are those Scrooges that would take the city to court if they did.