News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Starbuck's to come to downtown

Started by Towntalk, March 21, 2008, 10:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

With regard to downtown, someone needs to do some SERIOUS demographics and market research, and
then try opening other types of businesses that are NOT in abundance in the suburbs - thereby creating
a draw for the downtown area (ie: to get people from the 'burbs to come INTO town and spend some
of their money).

Downtown MUST do something to create the "critical mass" that is so important to bring people
in, and this involves diversification of the types of businesses that are to be located there.
Like TownTalk said - if there are too many restaurants (or too many of ANY one type of business)
then there will inevitably be a "shake-out" a some of them will close - simple economics in a free,
capitalist society.

If Starbucks does come to downtown Youngstown, it very well may cause some of the other
restaurants to close - that's what is known as "free market competition".

Towntalk

Phil:

I agree with you and would suggest that a committee made up of professors from YSU's business school and local downtown business should with the help of EDATA, the city and yourself meet to hash out the next steps for downtown Youngstown. Also Tim Ryan should likewise be involved since he is in a position to bring money in from the federal level.

I have serious doubts about the value of getting Bob Hagen involved assuming that he wins reelection, but if he feels left out, he could throw monkey wrenches into the project.

Through the early stages, there should be little if any public input since we tend to jump all over the board (no offense to anyone) and are not trained city planners.

Is there a head hunter company that specializes in bringing businesses into communities? If so, it might be a good idea of bringing them in after you can get funds from Congressman Ryan's office.

I always did think that we were putting too much empathises in restaurants. The saturation point you mentioned has been reached, and now are undergoing a shakeout which will see more of them close. This is unfortunate, but a necessary action due to the limited traffic downtown and the absence of retail stores that could increase traffic.

These are just my thoughts such as they may.

By the way, has anyone thought about opening an eBay store downtown? There is a very successful store in Columbiana that has undergone expansion to include in store trade as well as through eBay. That store is shipping out internationally and has classes for those that would like to set up a store in their community (YourOnLineAuctionPlace).

Defend Youngstown

Sharon informed me that no representatives from Starbuck have contacted the city. If this news is, indeed, true, they are working the deal out with a private building owner. The issue of Starbucks potentially coming to downtown raises a larger question, that being whether chains are something we desire. There are many local business owners who are investing a great deal of money in our downtown because they believe in the city and are willing to risk much to see the downtown succeed. When you have Rosetta Stone, Plaza Doughnuts, soon-to-be Lemon Grove, and potentially whatever the J.R. Davis and old Bean Counter location brings, do we want a chain to compete with our local investors who offer great service but without a brand? Or is a well know chain a missing component that we need to attract the folks from the townships/students from YSU?  There, then, is also the question of saturation. Are we approaching our limits of the market demand at this present development level? We have recently seen Old Precinct close (catering still available) and Ceadars is no longer open for weeknight dinner. There will also be another very well known resturant in downtown potentially closing soon as well. I believe this is a discussion we as a downtown community need have and relatively soon as a $34 million business college, residental towers, and the reconstruction W. Federal a slated to begin within the next 12 months (and don't forget Smoky Hollow). While I don't believe a message board is the proper fourm for such important questions to be discussed and opinions to formulated (no disrespect to MV.info - I love this site/board), I do feel the need it's time to at least begin thinking about where we stand on these issues.

ytowner

Quote from: Defend Youngstown on March 22, 2008, 09:50:57 PM
At this time, I have limited information regarding any firm developments/negotiations w/ Starbucks (downtown). I have a meeting with Sharon Woodberry (Econ Development Director) Tues at 10am and hope to have more to bring to the table at that time. Thanks guys.

DEFEND,
Phil
Phil. Did you learn ANYTHING new at your meeting today? If so, can you share it with us?

AllanY2525

Quote from: penguinnick on March 24, 2008, 10:42:43 AM
But will this particular downtown Starbucks stay open past 5pm? 

Nick,

As with most businesses their hours of operation will most likely be dictated by their
sales figures, ie: what hours of the day that they get the most business.  My guess
is that initially, they will try a certain set of hours to see how well it works - and then
adjust their hours of operation to fit the "traffic pattern".

Hopefully, they will stay open until at least 8 or 9 pm.  Some folks DO go out to bars,
clubs etc after having a cup of coffee.  Some others might be looking for a cup of
coffee or a light snack in between leaving a bar or club and going home for the night.

:)

penguinnick

But will this particular downtown Starbucks stay open past 5pm? 

Towntalk

The Starbucks web site shows that they have pastries as well as coffee and tea.

Certainly they may not provide full course meals but that 's the nature of traditional coffee shops.

I recall there being several traditional coffee shops, mostly on the East End, and had in house baked pastries.

The question I ask is why a family would stop in at a Starbucks for coffee and pastries, then shuffle off to a restaurant for a three course meal?

Personally I think it would be great to be able to take a laptop down to Starbucks to work on my web site while enjoying a couple of cups of coffee and pastries, but then, come to think about it, considering the amount of coffee I consume in the course of a day, I'd quickly go broke.

The point that Alan made though is spot on. Once other businesses see a Starbucks succeeding downtown, it would cause them to reconsider locating "where the action is".

Whether it's located at the Davis building or at the old Bean Counter location, they would be a big draw for downtown workers as well as YSU people. Just because they are working doesn't say that they don't have breaks during the day.

AllanY2525

I think a Starbucks Coffe shop downtown would be great.  Any advertising professional
will tell you that it's all about "brand awareness" - and because Starbucks Coffee is
so well known they will probably be successful if they do decide to open a store
downtown.

Another advertising phrase you've all probably heard of is "critical mass".  The
more popular "shopping destinations" that are grouped closely in a given
neighborhood or area, the bigger the overall draw to bring people there to
shop, etc.

Starbucks will draw people downtown - so other stores, shops, etc will
probably benefit from the increased retail traffic generated by the coffee
shop - especially restaurants (which serve entree's NOT served at a
Starbucks) and cocktail bars, etc.

:)

Towntalk

Getting back on topic, I noted on Starbucks web site that they ask people to vote on whether they want internet in the shops which tells me that if they do come to downtown and have internet access that this would be a huge draw not only from folks frm YSU, but the business commenity as well.

Some here have in the past talked about having an internet cafe, and here we have an opportunity to have just that.

By the way Starbucks isn't just coffee.

ytowner

Quote from: irishbobcat on March 23, 2008, 10:33:40 PM
And we wonder why there is no progress in the valley. More people want to discuss about bringing  5 dollar cups of coffee to downtown instead of renewable energy manufacturing jobs to the valley....

To Towntalk...your hometown article said it all.....your hometown had progressive aggressive state legislators who fought for a plant.

In the March primary, 85% of the ballots cast in Mahoning County were Democratic. So why should Bob Hagan or Tim Ryan really work at bringing jobs back to the valley? Because we will re-elect them time after time. All they have to do is give one speech against Bush and the Republicans and we jump on their bandwagons again and again. No new development for the valley, but an overpriced coffee shop coming downtown.

Until we put a fire under the feet of our Democratic leaders, they will not move a muscle to help this valley. If the Republicans can not mount a challenge to this valley, then we need to form a new second progressive party to challenge the current local state and federal leaders to get off their duffs and help this valley.

I was raised under the following  progressive core values- family values I believe help raise a responsible, caring family:

Caring and responsibility , carried with our strength.

Protection, fulfillment in life, fairness.

Freedom, opportunity, prosperity.

Community service, cooperation.

Trust, honesty, open communication.

These are the same values we need carried out to see our valley grow beyond adding a Starbucks Coffee Shop Downtown.

Sincerely,

Dennis Spisak-Independent Green Party Candidate for State Representative-60th District
campaign site: http://votespisak.tripod.com

Leave the Conservative movement to me. You concentrate on continuing the left's MORE GOVERNMENT attitude to ruining this area..

UGH...

irishbobcat

And we wonder why there is no progress in the valley. More people want to discuss about bringing  5 dollar cups of coffee to downtown instead of renewable energy manufacturing jobs to the valley....

To Towntalk...your hometown article said it all.....your hometown had progressive aggressive state legislators who fought for a plant.

In the March primary, 85% of the ballots cast in Mahoning County were Democratic. So why should Bob Hagan or Tim Ryan really work at bringing jobs back to the valley? Because we will re-elect them time after time. All they have to do is give one speech against Bush and the Republicans and we jump on their bandwagons again and again. No new development for the valley, but an overpriced coffee shop coming downtown.

Until we put a fire under the feet of our Democratic leaders, they will not move a muscle to help this valley. If the Republicans can not mount a challenge to this valley, then we need to form a new second progressive party to challenge the current local state and federal leaders to get off their duffs and help this valley.

I was raised under the following  progressive core values- family values I believe help raise a responsible, caring family:

Caring and responsibility , carried with our strength.

Protection, fulfillment in life, fairness.

Freedom, opportunity, prosperity.

Community service, cooperation.

Trust, honesty, open communication.

These are the same values we need carried out to see our valley grow beyond adding a Starbucks Coffee Shop Downtown.

Sincerely,

Dennis Spisak-Independent Green Party Candidate for State Representative-60th District
campaign site: http://votespisak.tripod.com

ytowner

This is about STARBUCKS and DOWNTOWN.

Not Ethanol and the Valley. Please start a new topic to talk about this issue, definitely not in the right forum. Spisak, I encourage you to start a blog.

Towntalk

Have any of these companies expressed an interest in locating here?

In my hometown the company did express an interest in Clearfield, and with the help of the state they are now up and going into production.

I haven't heard either the Governor or any of our state legislators address this matter and I doubt that I ever will.

In the Pennsylvania case, there were many other locations that the company could have located that have far better transportation infrastructures (Pittsburgh, Philidelphia, and Erie to name 3) yet a little town of about 10,000 get not one but two, with a third located a few miles away in another small town in Clearfield County.

Whenever there was talk about a company wanting to locate in Ohio, it was either Southern Ohio or Cleveland that got them with Mahoning County not even in the running.

And what's Tim Ryan doing to bring something here other than parks and some money for the Incubator?

Here he is on one of the most powerful committees in Congress, yet nothing is happening.

He'll be up for re-election in November so you would think that he would be tryig to pull out all the stops, yet we all know that he knows that all he has to do is sit back and wait for his lemmings to return him to Congress.

irishbobcat

Just think what would happen when we bring the first renewable energy company/factory to the valley......

Dennis Spisak

Towntalk

Thank Dan Rives for first making us aware of the news.

If the venture is successful, that could be used to encourage other national companies to take  look at downtown Youngstown. For my part, I do buy Starbucks coffee at the Belmont Giant Eagle for special occassions, and would patronize a downtown location.

It only takes one major company to succeed in order to interest others, so lets all give them our support.