News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Theater Brick Wall

Started by jay, March 14, 2008, 08:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

The gap appears to be around 2" wide, which is huge for a building.  Something has settled, or is failing.  Gravity will win this battle, and the only question is if there will be someone standing there when it happens.

Towntalk

From that photo, I would also agree, because the larger part of the building houses the "Fly" for the State.

A fly system is a system of ropes, counterweights, pulleys, and other such tools within a theatre designed to allow a technical crew to quickly move set pieces, lights, and microphones on and off stage by 'flying' them in from a large opening above the stage known as a flyspace, flyloft, fly tower, or fly gallery.

northside lurker

Here is an aerial view from the Mahoning county GIS site.  I've highlighted the area where I think the crack is.  But, because Jay took the photographs, he would be the one to confirm who is correct.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

The bar for the Draught House has an entrance on Market Court Alley which is the name of the alley between West Federal and West Boardman streets. (See Sanborn Fire Insurance Map.) This alley extends from Hazel Street to South Chestnut Street aka Vindicator Square.

Until the Vindicator built its new production building, Vindy trucks used this alley as well as West Boardman street. It is also an access route to the parking lot for Morley Center for the Arts..

The rounded area of the State is directly over Market Court Alley.

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on March 14, 2008, 05:19:07 PM
If I'm not mistaken it is that portion that extends over Market Court Alley. What concerns me is what the condition other parts of that area are in. Are the bricks pulling away from the wall on the other side as well? If they are, then that area will destabilize and water can get in to rust the metal framework.

As others have pointed out, brickwork is dropping away from the building.

Several years ago a large amount of brickwork fell onto adjoining buildings causing extensive damage to both the roof and contents of the building.

As you know, Market Court Alley is an entrance to The Draught House and Oakland and this means quite a bit of traffic.
From Jay's larger picture, that looks like it's closer to Boardman street.  I can't really tell what's happening, but you're definitely right that this is an entry point for water, and that's only going to speed up deterioration.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that crack is an indication that a wall is going to collapse soon.  It looks like the bricks are pulling apart, but are still on the same plane.
As far as the facade is concerned, tear it down too. I for one fail to see any value that it has that couldn't be duplicated elsewhere for those who are so in love with it, but that is my own personal opinion.

This is like the folks that want to save the facade of the old Paramount.

What do these folks want for the downtown area, a mass of shells of buildings with nothing more, making the downtown area look like the back lot of a motion picture studio?
I mostly disagree.  I'm one of those who are happy that the State facade is supposed to be saved.  And, I'd like to see the Paramount's facade saved.  But I agree that saving facades isn't a solution that should be used very often.

Once these buildings are gone, they are gone forever.  The facades won't be replicated anywhere else because of the huge amount of money it would take to recreate them from new materials.

I am in favor of saving these facades, because the alternative: (in this case a parking lot, but maybe something like this:

is much less attractive to me.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

From the second photo it is obvious that the bulk of the auditorium could collapse under the weight right down onto Market Court Alley. We have no way of determining the integrety of the framework, and as we all know, other buildings that were in far worse shape were a lot more difficult to demolish than we thought.

This said, these photos should put to rest once and for all any thought of saving this building, or any part of it. 

Thanks for the photos Jay.

jay

Here is another photo.

Towntalk

If I'm not mistaken it is that portion that extends over Market Court Alley. What concerns me is what the condition other parts of that area are in. Are the bricks pulling away from the wall on the other side as well? If they are, then that area will destabilize and water can get in to rust the metal framework.

As others have pointed out, brickwork is dropping away from the building.

Several years ago a large amount of brickwork fell onto adjoining buildings causing extensive damage to both the roof and contents of the building.

As you know, Market Court Alley is an entrance to The Draught House and Oakland and this means quite a bit of traffic.

As far as the facade is concerned, tear it down too. I for one fail to see any value that it has that couldn't be duplicated elsewhere for those who are so in love with it, but that is my own personal opinion.

This is like the folks that want to save the facade of the old Paramount.

What do these folks want for the downtown area, a mass of shells of buildings with nothing more, making the downtown area look like the back lot of a motion picture studio?

ytowner

I'm glad to see this building go down, because everyone is happy here. The facade is being saved and the blight is being cleared, which is one step closer toward a nicer downtown!

Jaime Hughes

When is the building scheduled for demolition? The building has had problems with the brick falling to the ground. They were talking about extending the fence around the building because the bricks continue to fall to the ground.

northside lurker

Can you provide a picture with more context?  It's hard to tell what's happening from just the picture you posted.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

No doubt that there is a steel frame behind the brick work, but how sound is it? Isn't this the area over Market Court Alley?

jay

This is a photo of the east wall of the old State Theater building.   Is the brick wall in danger of falling?  The building is scheduled for demolition.