News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Save the State Theatre meeting

Started by northside lurker, January 12, 2007, 11:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

Yes, because 15 spaces of surface parking is so much better.  If they weren't just going to use the site for parking, I might be persuaded that moving the State's facade would be acceptable.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

ytowner

Tear it down and then put the facade somewhere else.
We need to develop W-Federal!

northside lurker

Did anyone here attend?  I was there, and was pleasantly surprised by the crowd.

I think it was decided early on that the theater itself is a lost cause.  So the focus was changed to saving the facade of the theater in its present location.  (Some others, who weren't at this meeting, would like to save the facade but move it to another location.)

Some people said that if we wanted the convince the powers that be to save it, we need to invent possible uses for it.  Does the land behind the facade become some sort of garden?  Does the facade become a gateway to the parking lot behind?  Could the building be saved back to where it bridges over the alley, and be converted to a restaurant/museum/office?  If we approach the officials with more than just "don't tear it down" but have an actual idea of what could be done with it, they might be more receptive.

Jaime and Corey say that they are going to start a nonprofit organization, to raise funds. 

This is most of what I got from the meeting.  If anyone else who attended wants to clarify or add, please do so.

Thoughts?

I must say, it was nice to be in a group that was so enthusiastic about the progress being made in Youngstown.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison