News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

City Council Funding For First Night Youngstown

Started by jay, December 21, 2006, 05:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

Many people should attend this special council meeting to make sure the councilmen make the right decision this time.

Mary

A local news channel said this evening that city council called an emergency meeting to reconsider the issue. I will be calling my council person to express my opinion. We were/are planning on going to first night Youngstown.

Shar

I see this as a slap in the face to the residents of the City.  There are local businesses who are contributing more than the $5,000 that was requested from the City.  Why should the local businesses and the residents of the City continue to try to make Youngstown a better place when apparently that is not what City Council wants???

Towntalk

As I understand it, there would be two fireworks displays. The first would be for children and the funds for that one are in place.

It is the later display that is in question. This is the one that City Council voted not to fund.

jay

This funding issue is very confusing to say the least.  Councilman Hudson phoned Casey and stated that the money was already in place for the fireworks.  She then asked him why the vote, a negative one at that, was needed. 

A caller to the program asked why the mayor did not speak up and ask council to make the right decision.

Micky

Sounds like Youngstown has already turned into a bedroom community with city council members already asleep at the wheel.

Someone told me that they heard on the Ron and Casey radio show that the people who want fireworks should go to Canfield.

Maybe a REAL audit of City finances needs to be done.

jay

Someone from First Night Youngstown will be the guest on "Night Talk" with Maggy on Friday, December 22.
The show is on WKBN 570-AM from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.

Towntalk

Didn't get to hear what Casey learned this afternoon, but all three TV channels covered it featuring Councilman Hudson. The transcripts for all three channels should be on line later tonight but would recommend 27's story.

What did Ms. Malone learn?

jay

This problem will be discussed in the 6:00 p.m. hour of the Ron and KC Show today.
WKBN 570-AM.

Towntalk

The First Night Youngstown Committee needs to put the city on notice that this will be the last year that they will hold the event in Youngstown period, and all the other groups that hold events downtown should make it clear that they will no longer hold their events in Youngstown, but will move them to Boardman or Liberty Township.

The action of City Council is a slap in the face of everyone who has worked so hard to bring events to Youngstown that should no be tolerated a single moment.

They were not even men enough to come on one of the talk shows to explain their reasoning.

Micky

This is truly disppointing.  First Night this year appears to be the biggest and best event ever.  Council members must be living in a cave somewhere.  Go to other communities where fireworks are displayed and you'll see hundreds of people there watching.  Many families come to First Night because of the wonderful activities and the fireworks is the icing on the cake. 

Look back through Council's minutes and you'll find that they funded a drum core.  Although it wasn't $5,000.00 it didn't seem fair to fund them and not other groups or activities. 

It's all about money.  There was a dig about how First Night got "rent free" space in a building. 
Now we know that Council doesn't care about the good people of its city. They won't say a word about crime and violence and what they propose to do about that.  They had the proposal since May and sat on it till now.  Shame on you council! 

Shar

There is an article in the Vindicator today about this and you are correct, City Council voted no to paying $5,000 for the fireworks display.

If the City is not going to support First Night, how can they expect the other contributors to the evening to pay to support it?  It makes no sense to me!!

jay

City Council met Wednesday afternoon.  I heard that council refused to make its annual contribution to fund First Night Youngstown activities in downtown Youngstown for this year.  I sure hope this report is in error.  If anyone knows what really happened at the council meeting, please post the information on this forum.  Thanks in advance.