News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Photos from Steam Whistle Event

Started by jay, November 25, 2006, 01:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shar

Allan...The steam whistles were powered by Youngstown Thermal's steam.  They are the local steam company.

ForumManager

Were the mill whistles steam powered?  I can't remember hearing them in  my younger days. Maybe we didn't live close enough.  My mom used to tell me  about the ones in Steubenville.  She said she knew what time it was when I was born because she heard the mill whistles.

AllanY2525

Where did they setup the Steam Whistle event?  Did they tap into some of the
downtown steam lines that still remain in service, or did someone setup a
portable boiler system to supply the necessary steam?

Looks like this was a wonderful event for the kids....probably brought a
tear to the eyes of some of us older folks I sure.  I remember the steam
whistles very well.......

:)

Rick Rowlands

I could hear the whistles from the Tod Engine Heritage Park up on Hubbard Road.

northside lurker

When there was no traffic, and the kids were quiet, I could hear the whistles while I was putting up Christmas lights.

I couldn't help but think that the sounds of those whistles used to be a common part of daily life in my neighborhood.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

The event lasts until 3:00 p.m. today, Saturday, November 25.

jay

A youngster was given a chance to blow one of the large industrial whistles.  With the loss of industry in our area, the sounds of steam whistles are all but a memory to most people.

jay

These are whistles attached to the steam manifold.  Most people who own the whistles rarely get to hear them.

jay

Dozens of steam whistles were brought to the event.  In this photo, whistles are "in line" waiting to be attached to the steam manifold.