News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Downtown Parking

Started by Towntalk, November 10, 2015, 01:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Towntalk

What Jay forgets is the fact that there have been parking meters downtown since at least the 1920's and the central business district thrived until the steel mills closed. Mr. Jay wants everything handed to him on a golden platter and that just isn't going to happen, certainly not in his lifetime. Just how many times a week does he get into his car and drive downtown any way? Apparently he expects everything given to him free of charge.

Here in November 12, 2015 our downtown is nothing like it was on November 12, 1950. It isn't even a shaddow of its former self. Does Jay attend any of the concerts at Covelli or DeYor? I don't think so because none of them are free.

When is the last time he dined at The Fifth Floor in the Commerce Building in Downtown Youngstown? I doubt that he ever set foot in this establishment.

I'll give this to Jay, he supports the restaurants and bingo parlors on the West Side but how many of those bingo games does he actually attend? How many times a week does he dine out at the West Side Restaurants. He must be quite the wealthy man if he can eat out every day and play bingo every evening.

Towntalk

And we in the HISTORIC 7th Ward cordually invite people to come to the 7th to do all their shopping. The West Side can only invite you to chow down there, but we can give you the full shopping experience ... everything from soup to nuts ... WE ARE NUMBER ONE.

jay

If this cash cow is implemented in downtown Youngstown, I invite daytime diners to come to the west side where there is plenty of parking and no parking meters.

jay

I don't see what's wrong with the current system.  A male and a female worker patrols the downtown parking situation.  They log in cars every two hours.  If a car has parked longer than two hours, a ticket is written.

AllanY2525

Quote from: jay on November 11, 2015, 08:24:28 PM
I know of two groups that drive to downtown Youngstown to have lunch.  If the parking meters are installed, I'm sure these folks will dine elsewhere.

It's a double edged sword that cuts both ways.  I wonder how many people are NOT going downtown
right now because there isn't enough parking?? 

The problem is being contributed to by those inconsiderate motorists who park on the street in the same
spot ALL DAY LONG and by those who work downtown and insist on using the street parking spaces instead
of one of the surface lots, a parking deck, etc.

Having parking meters on public streets in the central business district of a city is not an unusual thing.
My downtown where I live is loaded with them, and people think nothing of dropping a few coins in
the meter as they go about their business shopping, dining, etc.

What's the big deal?  The city is not doing anything outlandish, it could use the income, and having faster
turnover for those street parking spaces will give MORE people who come downtown the opportunity to park
somewhere within a reasonable distance of the eatery they are going to have lunch at, the bar where they
want to have a cocktail, the store where they want to do some daytime shopping, etc.

They also mentioned that these spaces would be free parking after daytime business hours and on weekends......

jay

Suggestion

Call your councilman or councilwoman and tell them not to place parking meters in downtown Youngstown.

Towntalk

I'll tell you what is going to happen. The fuzz are gonna go crazy slapping tickets on even the cars of people who are living in the high rent Reality Tower and Wick Tower and in return, people will start moving out to the suburbs. In time those buildings will empty out and next the PIGS will turn to those attending concerts at Covelli and DeYor to the point where people will no longer attend concerts downtown. And who will take the heat?

jay

I know of two groups that drive to downtown Youngstown to have lunch.  If the parking meters are installed, I'm sure these folks will dine elsewhere.

Towntalk

I agree with you 100% Dennis ... it will kill the downtown area.

Irishbobcat

When the meters go up allover downtown I will no longer venture downtown....

Towntalk

Towntalk

THE ANSWER IS YES, but no doubt you will find fault with it because it does not give every single answer to all of your questions.

http://wkbn.com/2015/11/10/youngstown-city-council-discusses-improving-downtown-parking/

iwasthere

Mike McGavin the downtown Events Director endorses the idea of taking the parking free parking spaces away to replace them with paid meters. The closer you are to the restaurants the higher the a5Mount you will pay per hour. The further away you are away from the restaurants the less of the amount that you will pay if these meters. The council committee of committee off side parking endorses the idea too. Nate Pinkard suggested free parking in all lots and all parking spaces free from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. 7 days a week; this is a idea that he picked up from the Akron City parking lot s solution. Gillam and Tarpley opposed the idea while jrs is somewhat in favor of the parking meters. Tj Rodgers sat at this meeting like a bump on a log. Ray and Brennan were nowhere to be found. The only new console reps that were there were mcnally and Davis. Where were the other newly elected city reps officials for this meeting? My personal opinion is that this current outgoing Council should put the trash increase fees on hold and the parking dilemma on hold to to allow the new current Youngstown Council to make these important decisions. I would like to know if the outgoing Council are going to go to a National City conference before their term is over in December aka like the previous outgoing council did eight years ago?

jay

Was there any TV coverage of this meeting?